Fairy Eggs (wind eggs)

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
My CLB pullet has started laying at 19 weeks. Very excited, especially since it came the day after a coyote attack and my other 5 layers have stopped /slowed down due to stress (i imagine).

I never got any fairy eggs from my original flock (of 6 ), and now i have had one each day for 10 days from my CLB. that seems like a lot of mini eggs to me! Is this normal? When will they get bigger? What is the percentage of chickens that lay fairy eggs - is it common?
Thanks!

Generally fairy eggs don't actually contain a full yolk. Generally it's just a bit of yolk or even something slough off the oviduct wall. Do yours contain a full yolk?

If they don't contain yolks than I would assume there's a glitch in her system that will hopefully resolve itself. Most that experience problems get them worked out in the first month, but sometimes it can one a few months, and an occasional one never gets it all worked out, but that's fairly uncommon.

There's really nothing you can do about it but to keep stress low and feed a good ration with a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

If they contain a full yolk and are just smaller eggs than they should slowly get larger.

well thats interesting- i read that fairy eggs dont contain yolks and that i can just let it dry out naturally with no smell etc..

i havent cracked any open. i will eat one for breakfast and see if it has a yoke. i assumed it wouldnt. they are pretty small- started out like robins egg but now about bantam chicken size. one a day, too- which i thought was amazing for a new young hen!!

i havent cracked any open.
10 mini eggs in 10 days and you haven't opened any?!
I'd have been all over that by the third day!
Not sure I'd want to keep many, even if they don't stink.

Blew out a bunch of my first dark brown and olive pullet eggs...they faded greatly after about a year. :(

Hens first eggs are so darn cute.
Pullet eggs.....denotes a smaller egg.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).

I carton up 'Pullets Dozens' by weight(simplifies cost and accounting).
full

10 mini eggs in 10 days and you haven't opened any?!
I'd have been all over that by the third day!
Not sure I'd want to keep many, even if they don't stink.

Blew out a bunch of my first dark brown and olive pullet eggs...they faded greatly after about a year. :(
HAHA. ok, so i craked the last one open. full yoke, normal egg - even fertilised.

I thought a pullet turned into a hen when she laid. I guess I still have a lot of pullets!
Thanks for clarifying!

Back
Top Bottom