Extra small eggs for more than a week

JeffandLori

Songster
Jul 18, 2020
S. Florida
I got some Black Jersey Giants in the first of February. The two hens have started laying about a week ago, but the eggs are very small. Not sure I'd call them "fairy" eggs, but close. I integrated them with the main flock at about 10 weeks or so. They are now bigger than the ISA Brown hens and I was hoping to get extra large eggs out of them.

Is this normal for this stage for this breed? My ISAs all started with regular sized eggs when they began to lay. We boiled about a dozen of them today and I ate one. They seem like normal eggs....just small. Two normal eggs from my ISA browns that seem to lay "large" sized eggs normally.

IMG_1096.jpeg

Is this normal for this stage for this breed?
Pullet sized eggs are normal for heritage breed chickens.

ISA's have been bred to lay full size eggs from the start. Pullet size eggs are worth less $$., commercially speaking.

The JG eggs will increase in size with age as will their body.. to whatever is the norm for their breed. Many heritage breed chickens start close to 40 grams. My gold sexlink started at 60 grams.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/l...size-and-your-small-flock-of-laying-hens.html

https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/education/detail/how-long-do-chickens-lay-eggs-goals-for-laying-hens#:~:text=Within their first year of,egg count will gradually drop.

Great. Thank you all. I guess this is a lesson in greed and patience. lol.

I chose this breed for their dual purpose, heat tolerance and the description says "extra large eggs", so we'll just wait for them to grow out of "teenager" stage.

I'm not in it for the money, I'm in for the fun and some extras to give away, so no hurry.

If there are yolks in them they are not fairy eggs but pullet eggs.
Most pullets lay smaller eggs for anywhere from a few day to a few or more months.
Several yrs ago got 5 4-9 wk old assorted pullets, BR, RIR, AUSTRALORP, 2 Orp. When they started laying we got med- large eggs from the start. At 22 wks now we have extra small eggs every other day from 1 of 2 BR. 2 EE & other BR not laying at all. 21% layer feed and oyster shell, is it the heat, Dumor from TSC, Hoovers???? These ladies have 10 x 20 run, fresh water, I am ready to start to get impatient.

Several yrs ago got 5 4-9 wk old assorted pullets, BR, RIR, AUSTRALORP, 2 Orp. When they started laying we got med- large eggs from the start. At 22 wks now we have extra small eggs every other day from 1 of 2 BR. 2 EE & other BR not laying at all. 21% layer feed and oyster shell, is it the heat, Dumor from TSC, Hoovers???? These ladies have 10 x 20 run, fresh water, I am ready to start to get impatient.
In my experience, 22 weeks is super early for eggs to be XL if they aren’t a production hybrid. My hens are a little over a year old, and a few of them have just recently increased their egg size. The Sussex used to lay 40ish g, now is usually low 50s, and the rest are all high 50s/low 60s in g most days. I only had 1 hen laying in the 70s, and she had a lot of egg laying issues, soft shell, etc, probably mixed w an ISA or similar.

Back
Top Bottom