fake egg being moved from nest to nest!!

Flame80

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Deep East Texas Sabine County
very strange happening in my nesting boxes. I have 6 white leghorns and 3 Domaniques. All are about 2 years old now and lay very well. recently they started laying only about 5-6 a day instead of the usual 9. thought it was the heat or molting. Thought I might have a snake even though I have not seen one and it is really snake proof. I have 3 nesting boxes but they usually only use two of them. I decided to put a fake ceramic egg in each of the 2 nests they use. Everything good for about a week but discovered BOTH fake eggs were IN THE SAME NEST!! Thought maybe I somehow did it while collecting. Everything good again for a couple of weeks. Apparently no snake based on the fake eggs are still there. Now TODAY I only had 5 eggs again BUT... BOTH fake eggs were in the same nest AGAIN! There is a 1x6 board in front of the nesting boxes. You can't tell me those chickens are picking those eggs up with their TEETH and doing that! WHAT is going on?? Can a snake grab the fake egg and maybe spit it out in the other nest?? I'm stummped!!

I doubt it was snake. But I had a similar thing happen. I had an only female duck and when she started laying I put a golf ball to (simulate a ceramic egg) in the coop. The next day it was completely at the other side of the coop and RIGHT next to her egg, both buried in straw. So I’m guessing your chickens are somehow moving the ceramic eggs. :)

Yes I know they don't have teeth. hah! The nests are side by side and they are milk crates. I thought more about it and maybe one hen doesn't like it and she "scratches" it out of there. and maybe another thinks it somehow came out of her nest and she "scratched" it back into the nest? these fake eggs are lighter than the real eggs I must say. Very strange!

Yes I know they don't have teeth. hah! The nests are side by side and they are milk crates. I thought more about it and maybe one hen doesn't like it and she "scratches" it out of there. and maybe another thinks it somehow came out of her nest and she "scratched" it back into the nest? these fake eggs are lighter than the real eggs I must say. Very strange!
That is totally something I would do (beak/teeth thing) so that's why I just went ahead and assumed what you meant 💜 Your theory sounds highly likely. Some of my pullets have done some odd things with fake eggs. One of my Silkie hens is a pro at moving eggs 🤣 Very careful nudging and tucking is the method I've watched her use 💜

Edited to add that my forever broody Fancy Nancy, along with her broody buddy, Victoria, will sneak eggs out of an egg carton, if they can get to them 😂

i did have a domonique on the nest the other day and continued to peck me and would not let me gather from under her. First time that has happened. Egg under the wing might be the answer? I did not know they could or would do that!

Should you get a broody and be pulling her out of her box you should be careful to do what I call "picking her pockets" before lifting her. That is, you reach up under her wings to take away any eggs she's got up there -- otherwise you can crush and egg when you pick her up an that's nasty for both of you.

Should you get a broody and be pulling her out of her box you should be careful to do what I call "picking her pockets" before lifting her. That is, you reach up under her wings to take away any eggs she's got up there -- otherwise you can crush and egg when you pick her up an that's nasty for both of you.
Yep, or drop one that she's got under her wing whenever you pick her up and what a mess that my girls go crazy for 🙄

Edited: The more I think about this, we're possibly referring to almost exact incidents

Back
Top Bottom