Fake Egg Missing

melzie88

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2019
For the last week I haven't been getting as many eggs as normal. I thought it was the Arizona heat. But today I went out to collect eggs and my fake egg was missing. I have noticed their bedding has been falling out of the nesting box recently. They are in a smaller coop with a nesting box located off of the ground attached to the back. I searched everywhere with no luck. The girls have been laying in a different box than normal. What could have taken my eggs?
IMG_2012.jpeg

I don't think it could have been a squirrel or an opossum. That would be very rare in the valley. If it was a rat is there anything I could do to get rid of it?

I don't think it could have been a squirrel or an opossum. That would be very rare in the valley. If it was a rat is there anything I could do to get rid of it?
You could get an outdoor cat but if you don't want to go that far you can buy a spray that keeps away rats or you could buy a plug in thing that makes a high pitch sound only rats can hear. Make sure there are no places in your yard where a rat could burrow

I agree with @cmom as to putting up a camera to help you to find out what is taking your egg's. That way you will know exactly what you are dealing with, so that you will know what steps that you will then have to take.

I also live here in AZ., and last fall a rat snake got into my chick's grow-out pen and ate 2 of them.

Back
Top Bottom