1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fake eggs and golf balls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paddyg84, Mar 16, 2013.

1. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Do fake eggs and golf balls work to persuade hens to lay? Have had my girls a week now and they haven't started laying yet.

2. CaptSierra

CaptSierra Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2013
    I have 5 nesting boxes in my chicken coop, and placed golf balls in three of them about 6 months ago just to see if my hens would be fooled by them. Since doing so, every one of their eggs have come from the nesting boxes with the golf balls!

3. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Will def give it a go then! Sure I only lose them on the course anyway!

4. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

it does work it takes them a couple of weeks

5. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I think the golf balls just show the hens where to put thier eggs when they start to lay. Seeing or sitting on a golf ball may enduce them to lay.

6. Happy Aggie

Happy Aggie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Ours did not like the plastic fake eggs at all. They kicked them out of the nesting box, out of the coop, and down the ramp to the run.

1 person likes this.
  7. TERRY4

TERRY4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    So, at what age do you put them in the nests? Our girls will be 5 months old in about 3 weeks.

8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I don't believe that nest eggs result in hens laying in one particular nest over any other nest. However hens lay eggs to perpetuate the species, not to keep the Easter Bunny in beer money.

Because hen chickens are terrible at counting and ciphering, if there is a nest egg or two in the nest, the hens can't tell that their morning deposit went missing by noon. Therefore the hens are less likely to change nest locations to fool an egg predator. Therefore I do believe that nest eggs encourage hens to keep laying in one particular nest or location over another but not necessarily in any or in every nest with a phony egg in it.

9. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    They seemed to work here. They helped with egg production & when someone was naughty & started pecking eggs. The only problem I have is they send my BCM's into the princess BROODY bunch.

10. TERRY4

TERRY4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Jeromesville, Ohio
    Ok, just got in from putting a golf ball, in 4 of the nest boxes. Only time will tell!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by