Fake eggs and golf balls

paddyg84

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 5, 2013
Do fake eggs and golf balls work to persuade hens to lay? Have had my girls a week now and they haven't started laying yet.

I have 5 nesting boxes in my chicken coop, and placed golf balls in three of them about 6 months ago just to see if my hens would be fooled by them. Since doing so, every one of their eggs have come from the nesting boxes with the golf balls!

I don't believe that nest eggs result in hens laying in one particular nest over any other nest. However hens lay eggs to perpetuate the species, not to keep the Easter Bunny in beer money.

Because hen chickens are terrible at counting and ciphering, if there is a nest egg or two in the nest, the hens can't tell that their morning deposit went missing by noon. Therefore the hens are less likely to change nest locations to fool an egg predator. Therefore I do believe that nest eggs encourage hens to keep laying in one particular nest or location over another but not necessarily in any or in every nest with a phony egg in it.

They seemed to work here. They helped with egg production & when someone was naughty & started pecking eggs. The only problem I have is they send my BCM's into the princess BROODY bunch.

Back
Top Bottom