Fake eggs to stop smashing eggs?

GonzoTheGreat

Chirping
Jun 7, 2019
I'm pretty certain one of my Welsummers is smashing eggs in the coop. Only 3 of my 6 are laying right now, and each one of their eggs has ended up smashed in the nest at times over the past few weeks. Despite the Welsummers not laying (they are molting, so I guess they have an excuse), I'll find them hanging out in the hen house when another hen is on the nest. One of them is the "dominant" hen.

I've read that you can use those fake eggs to "fix" this. Does it actually work? Anything else you can try?

I have no idea if fake eggs would fix egg issues. No harm in trying. Many people that have this issue invest in roll away nesting boxes-these have a slanted floor that makes the eggs roll into a compartment, usually under the floor of the box, that the hens can't get to but the humans can with a hatch.

I'm pretty certain one of my Welsummers is smashing eggs in the coop. Only 3 of my 6 are laying right now, and each one of their eggs has ended up smashed in the nest at times over the past few weeks. Despite the Welsummers not laying (they are molting, so I guess they have an excuse), I'll find them hanging out in the hen house when another hen is on the nest. One of them is the "dominant" hen.

I've read that you can use those fake eggs to "fix" this. Does it actually work? Anything else you can try?
How old are these birds, in months?
Are there shells left behind...and if so are the shells good and thick or thin and weak?

If birds are stalking the nest to break and eat eggs, not much will help other than isolating or getting rid of the stalkers.

Really need more info....including dimensions of coop and pics, inside and out.

Are there shells left behind...and if so are the shells good and thick or thin and weak?

If birds are stalking the nest to break and eat eggs, not much will help other than isolating or getting rid of the stalkers.

X2

Unfortunately I have no idea how old they are. I bought a house and they offered me the chickens. When I asked for breeds/ages they never responded. I've had them for about a year and a half now. There was a brief period of smashing before, but it stopped. Maybe this run will stop too, but figured I would try something if I could.

The shells are left behind. One of the hens lays an egg with a thinner shell, but the other two have "normal" shells and those have been smashed too.

I'd have to measure the coop to be sure. Have the remnants of the hurricane passing right now, maybe later. I'd guess the hen house part is about 5' x 4'. There are three nesting boxes. Six hens.

I don't know for certain if they are stalking the eggs. Besides the couple Welsummers hanging out in the house while another hen was on the nest, when I found what appeared to be a "fresh" smashed egg in the nesting box last week, a Welsummer was leaving the house. I suppose she could have been in there for something else, but no one usually hangs out in the hen house unless they are laying or sleeping.

I don't know for certain if they are stalking the eggs.
You might have to do some stalking...to gather eggs more frequently, replacing the ones gathered with fake eggs, and you might observe some behaviors that would offer clues as to what is really going on.

Would help to know what all and how exactly you are feeding, to point out or eliminate a nutritional issue.

I've had them for about a year and a half now.
They could be ramping down production for molting and winter break.
Can get some funky eggs around that time.
Oh, yeah, you said some were molting.

I have had some -- though not total -- success with fake eggs. Once in a while, someone will "drop" an egg from a roost and break it. The hens quickly catch on that the broken egg is completely different from the hard ones that they roll around in the nest boxes.

Recently, I wondered who might be eating the occasional egg -- then Beatrix walked out of the coop with half an egg stuck to her breast. Fortunately, it hasn't happened again, so I guess I will have to give her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she "tripped" over it and it clung to her feathers?

Back
Top Bottom