Fake eggs

tsumm0109

Chirping
Sep 22, 2019
Will my duck know the difference between fake eggs and real eggs? Lois and Clark are pets we’re not trying to eat their eggs but, our fear was a predator would come after the eggs. Well it happened we think it was a raccoon. We want to be able to take her eggs but not make her feel eggless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about ducks, but my chickens sure don't "miss" their eggs when I take them. What is your purpose for leaving them? Are you trying to have more ducks? If not, gather them daily, as you have found out, they will drawn predators. I hope your ducks are in safe housing at night, most critters that like eggs, like ducks too. If you don't want to eat the eggs, maybe a friend or neighbor will take them. I hear they are good eating, and for baking.

We have been taking the eggs but one night we didn’t get to it in time. She was laying under the platform and not in the house. Now she is laying in the houses and we don’t want her to stop laying there. We are going to give the eggs away but she has only been laying for about 3 weeks so some of the eggs have been no good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Duck don't miss their eggs unless they are broody. You should remove their eggs at least every second day to prevent messes - a rotten duck egg just stinks! And too many eggs laying around are an invitation for predators, which may in the future want more than just eggs…
Fake eggs are more like an invitation to lay into the same nest, my ducks always share their nests. I have 15 laying ducks and five nests from where i collect the eggs. And ducks are very stubborn with their choice of nest location. You can put ½dozen fake eggs into a nest, if your duck doesn't like the location, she will lay her eggs where she wants.

We try to get the eggs every day. When we feed in the morning we look for eggs. She is now laying in her house and not under the platform. So we don’t want her to stop laying there. We have one male, one female duck and they do mate and the last thing we want is ducklings. So my question is will my duck take to the fake eggs and keep laying in that nest.

We try to get the eggs every day. When we feed in the morning we look for eggs. She is now laying in her house and not under the platform. So we don’t want her to stop laying there. We have one male, one female duck and they do mate and the last thing we want is ducklings. So my question is will my duck take to the fake eggs and keep laying in that nest.
I am very sure your duck will continue to lay her eggs in the very same location, because she has chosen this place for her nest. Even if you remove the egg(s) without providing a fake egg it is very unlikely that she will move the nest. With a fake egg however she won't even notice the difference.

If I take my female ducks eggs from their chosen spot inside they will lay in a different area the next day these are my Muscovy they really like their nest and take particular attention to where they place them. My Runners and Buffs could care less. ( in a Muscovy mind where they build their nest is where they intend to brood). What breed are your ducks?

Last edited:
They are Pekin. Lois has done the same thing. When we remove her eggs from one spot she will lay in a different spot the next day. She has made herself about four nests. That’s why I was trying to get help to see if fake eggs would keep her laying in the house.

Back
Top Bottom