Fake Eggs

Quote:
Well my guess would be your related to Martha Stewart.
lol.png
And of course her chickens are smarter than other chickens.
lol.png

gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

Nothing "makes" a hen go broody, she a female and decides for herself. As the father of three girls I've learned the do what they want , when they want.
lol.png

That said, I have a hen sitting on two wooden eggs plus one of her own. Don't know what possessed her to go broody but she did. Iv'e switched them out for eggs of my choice and she seems fine.

I put fake eggs in the nest boxes when I found the first egg laying in the straw of the coop. Since then I haven't had anybody be confused where to lay, except for one goofy pullet who's been dropping shell-less eggs all over the yard. The fake eggs are heavy ceramic painted brown, and I got a dozen of them on ebay. However, I've also used a couple of egg-shaped rocks.

I used the plastic easter eggs and didn't fill them or tape them. They haven't done anything to them and all of our eggs, they just started laying!, have been in the nest box. They seem to like it a lot more if there are at least 2 eggs in each box.

ALthough that is a good idea (filling with sand) and I'll probably do it!

I put them in their boxes at about 16 weeks. They started laying at 17.

Last edited:
I have a polished quartz egg that i put in and take out of the nest box I originally put it in because at 1st I didn't have a nest box, and my bo was laying in the bottom of the coop, I keep taking it out because the bo seems to lay her egg plop right down on top of it and cracking her egg, I try pushing it to the outer edge of the nest but they move it back to the center, I think I'll take it out for good now that I know they know where they are sposed to layeven if jodie the campine is faking me out least she knows something is suposed to happen in the nest, no the reason I was thinking it might make them go broody is if they see those fake eggs sitting there day after day iI was thinking nstinct might kick in

Back
Top Bottom