fake eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RWGreen312, Dec 27, 2011.

1. RWGreen312

RWGreen312 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    why would you need to place fake eggs in the nest ? I just got two 8 month old hens yesterday. will moving them to my coop make them stopping laying and if so how long before they start laying again? I'm a newbie to this. I also have two 8 week old birds . i think one is a hen other is a rooster.how old will the hen nned to be before she starts laying?

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    sometimes when you relocate chickens they take a while to start laying again....i got 3 hens this fall...it took the first 2 over 16 days to lay again...and the other hen over 3 weeks....
    the fake egg is just to get them to see where they should lay an egg.....if they see eggs in the nest box they may want to lay an egg there!....most chickens start to lay around
    20 - 27 weeks....depending on the chicken!!!.........good luck!

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I use wooden eggs in each box to show new hens where to lay. Some hens like to lay eggs where others have laid. I have six boxes but might find all the eggs in two or three. If there is no empty box they might go to another but usually the lay in the same nest as another hen has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by