Fake fireplace

PaulaSB12

Songster
9 Years
Dec 6, 2010

This is the fake fireplace in my sitting room (sorry about the piece of wood one dead dado rail) I thought it was attached to the wall. It turned out that the only thing holding it up was the coving at the top I took the top row of bricks and the whole thing came down. Missed the sofa and the tv table and me. So bye bye hideous fire place. I am getting rid of the dado rails the coving and the artex on the ceiling replacing the skirting boards (baseboards is that what you call them) then put this wallpaper on the wall

http://www.wallpaperdirect.co.uk/products/albany/albany-house-vinyls-9/90724

Last edited:
I really like fireplaces, but I don't know what the purpose is in having fake ones. I know they can be called 'decorative touches' but...to me a fireplace is most decorative when it's actually lit. lol

I actually really like the "wainscot appearance" you currently have going on right now (but I'm a wainscot fan in general). I'm sure your wallpaper will look very nice too though! I hope you update with progress pictures and a grand finale when it's finished. :)

Last edited:
I will. I am getting rid of the artexed ceiling and removing the daado rails and coving then line the wall and wallpaper. Put in a new fire and then decide carpet or wood for the floor.

wow! That thing was a disaster waiting to happen. Luckily it is gone now and not posing a risk any more! Imagine if it came down on a child!!!

I love your choice of wallpaper - very beautiful!

I really like fireplaces, but I don't know what the purpose is in having fake ones. I know they can be called 'decorative touches' but...to me a fireplace is most decorative when it's actually lit. lol

I actually really like the "wainscot appearance" you currently have going on right now (but I'm a wainscot fan in general). I'm sure your wallpaper will look very nice too though! I hope you update with progress pictures and a grand finale when it's finished. :)
I'm with you what even makes me wonder what the heck you are thinking when it comes to decorating is when people buy used or new reproduction pieces of fireplace mantles and put along a wall, sure they look good in a home of the right age when you know they legitimately closed off the fire place but IMHO they look silly in newer homes.

Well yesterday I had a fun day, wallpaper mostly off, the last of that and the last dado rail will go after I freecycle the huge sideboard cupboard its too big and I want some thing nicer. The wallpaper is gone the coving at the ceiling is gone. I am currently going round the wall filling small holes everywhere. Thursday someone is coming to change the lighting from 5 wall lights to ceiling lights. Then the ceiling will get plastered. The walls will have lining put on them and I will paint the wood work and wallpaper the room.

I will take one tomorrow when the floor is tidy, I got told about 30 minutes ago that I can have a multi fuel wood/coal burner in my sitting room!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the look and feel of a room with one of these in it and now I can replace the dead gas fire with a wood burner!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom