Falconry anyone? 🦅

Okay! 😀 Aww, owls in Lowes! So cute.

Wouldn’t you think that would be dangerous to the people though I’ve heard they can be very aggressive.
They are in the "outside" portion of the garden area, and stay up in the rafters 20+ feet up. The do keep an eye on people but they've been there for years (clearly a breeding family unit that keeps coming back and nesting) and to my knowledge there's never been an incident. The lowe's people put up "watch of owls" signs when they're nesting and that's about it.

I mean, what else are you going to do with a federally protected species except leave it alone, right? :)

My only encounter with falconry was while coyote hunting one winter. A truck was parked at the side of the road in a strange place, so we stopped to see what was going on. Two guys had a peregrine falcon! If I remember correctly, the bird's owner tied a piece of a birds wing to a long string with some break away ability and attached that to a rather large drone. He sent the drone waaaay off, we could just barely see it, and set it to hover, then released the falcon. The falcon flew super high and circled for a bit until he saw the bundle, then dove down and picked it off the string!

The guy then pushed a button on the drone and it returned to the truck and landed (which I thought was cool because I know nothing about drones either, lol). He said the falcon would wait for them on the ground with the wing. He had a pretty long walk through a snowy field to go and get it, so we were on our way.

It was nice chatting with the guys and very interesting!

My only encounter with falconry was while coyote hunting one winter. A truck was parked at the side of the road in a strange place, so we stopped to see what was going on. Two guys had a peregrine falcon! If I remember correctly, the bird's owner tied a piece of a birds wing to a long string with some break away ability and attached that to a rather large drone. He sent the drone waaaay off, we could just barely see it, and set it to hover, then released the falcon. The falcon flew super high and circled for a bit until he saw the bundle, then dove down and picked it off the string!

The guy then pushed a button on the drone and it returned to the truck and landed (which I thought was cool because I know nothing about drones either, lol). He said the falcon would wait for them on the ground with the wing. He had a pretty long walk through a snowy field to go and get it, so we were on our way.

Wow what a lovely experience!:love Did you know the use eagles to attack spy drones in other countries? If there are drones at a political event with someone important they will take out large eagles, usually goldens, and take ‘em down.

They are in the "outside" portion of the garden area, and stay up in the rafters 20+ feet up. The do keep an eye on people but they've been there for years (clearly a breeding family unit that keeps coming back and nesting) and to my knowledge there's never been an incident. The lowe's people put up "watch of owls" signs when they're nesting and that's about it.

I mean, what else are you going to do with a federally protected species except leave it alone, right? :)
Very good point! They deserve their home for probably genarations! :)

That is cool. That is a pretty smart way to train them.

Thought some of you bird of prey enthusiasts would like to see this!
😁
EFF7D3FC-8A5E-4708-88C5-4FCEB6E42595.png

Wow what a lovely experience!:love Did you know the use eagles to attack spy drones in other countries? If there are drones at a political event with someone important they will take out large eagles, usually goldens, and take ‘em down.
They actually do that here in America. :p Here, they use Bald Eagles. I think they mainly use them by the borders,but they might use them elsewhere like where you're talking about. Don't they attach cameras to the Eagles to spy as well? Or was that just the hawks and falcons in WWII?

Back
Top Bottom