Falcons, how bad for the flock are they?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cgjsmith, May 2, 2009.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    My hubby and I saw a pair of falcons in our neighbors yard. I've heard them off and on for weeks. What are they likely to go after? something has got all of my hens but left the roosters and geese. Crystal

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Aren't falcons a lot smaller than hawks and eagles? I think they eat mostly songbirds and small rodents.

Don't forget that all birds of prey are federal protected.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    full size hens are ok.... small chicks, ducklings, pigeons and birds are not.

4. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    They are *probably* not actually falcons, but rather some other type of hawk. Depending on what species of hawk it actually is, they may or may not be a danger for your birds.

One very common hawk in TN is the red tailed hawk. They are commonly referred to as "chicken hawks". There's a reason for that nickname. [​IMG]

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

They're probably as good for the flock as a shotgun would be... I'd be battening down the hatches until they moved on.

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I'm willing to bet it's not the small raptors accounting for your hens. Adult chickens are a chore for full size birds of prey, let alone small ones.

But anything is possible. There are no absolutes, no matter what any of us say. You must watch and learn.

Your actions thereafter will be another matter. For now, pay close attention.

7. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    my full size are dinner here and there for even juvenile red tails so i would be real careful. They will carry off a standard! ErinM

8. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    Are your hens disappearing during the day or at night. If they are disappearing during the day, it might be a hawk. If they disappear at night, I would suspect something else.

9. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    They arn't red tails we have another set of those that lives across the holler. They are alot smaller then a red tail as well. They disappeared at all times in the day. I set out a live trap but havn't caught anything. My husband says Owl maybe... I will just have to watch my runner teens then they are still little enough to get swiped. Thanks for the help. Crystal.

10. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    An owl might hunt at dawn or dusk but not during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by