Falkland, BC

Splatter

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
Hello from the northern edge of the sunny Okanagan Valley in British Columbia's south-central interior.

I'm kind of an accidental/premature chicken keeper at this time.

I occasionally work as a chicken catcher, emptying "large" (for this area) barns for commercial chicken growers. In every barn there are "size-culls" these are birds that, in the 5-to-7 weeks they've been there, have failed to keep up in size with their sisters. Often they are not only smaller; but noticably less mature.
In some barns there might only be 4-or-6 of these little ones, in other barns, over 100. If we notice them as we are catching the bigger birds, we set them aside.
A couple of weeks ago I helped at a barn that had quite a few size-culls, so I asked my boss if he minded if I took a few home (it's not uncommon, the hens seem to grow normally once they get someplace different).
So I took 5 and brought them to a neighbour that had just lost some of her hens to a dog attack.
However, she is only into "Heritage breeds" and my "white" chickens (some unknown generic meat breed) were unwelcome. (she was not ungracious and I can be kind of a "gear snob" so I get it)
So I re-purposed an old shed and now I've got a chicken coop and 4 small chickens that have no idea what to do with all that space. (one little hen didn't make it).

They don't have an outdoor run yet because it's going to have to be pretty darn sturdy. We have a Labradoodle (Labrador Retriever / Standard Poodle cross) that would _REALLY_ like to play her new white friends. Our cats have learned that if you just lay still the "maulings" don't last too long; but I doubt that the chickens have much of a sense of humour.

Welcome!
frow.gif

Hello and :welcome

Quite a story! That's sweet of you to take those chickens home. :p Best of luck with them! I know some peeps whose dogs get on tremendously with the flock.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Back
Top Bottom