Fall and Winter layers

nanibu

Hatching
Sep 30, 2021
Anyone know of smaller breed size hens that lay in fall and winter?

I have smaller breed size hens and a bantam and so I want to stick to the smaller size hens. In the fall it is very warm, but due to shorter hrs in the day, my hens have stopped laying. The winters do get cold, in the 50s and 60s degree range.

Do you offer supplemental light? I think that is the only way you are going to get any hen to lay throughout the winter, pullets still should lay without the extra light but they will slow down (from what I have heard). 50-60s is pretty decent for winter weather, where are you located?

Maybe a Leghorn or Barred Rock would be good for your flock? I don't know what you have for a "smaller breed" but I have both and neither is the largest in my flock (my Brahmas and SLW take the cake on that one) and they are both good layers

Thanks for your replies.
A Barred Rock I use to have would overly peck on all the birds. I have a Buff Orpington that always gets on top of my little Ayam Cemani bantam and pecks her really bad. Also I have a small Speckled Sussex, a leghorn, and 2 small Sicilian Butter cups. Hence why I am trying to go smaller size breeds.

maybe golden comets? I have 2 and they are quite small.
and I have herd they lay through the winter.

NOT MY OWN WORDS JUST SOMETHING THAT WAS ON GOOGLE.
While most breeds stop laying eggs for 3 months during the winter, Golden Comets will continue laying; up to 330 eggs a year! They are also great foragers (eat less purchased food and more bugs and weeds) and do well in both warm and cold climates.

Last edited:
Some of the hatcheries have bantam Easter Eggers, they are pretty cute and you will get colored eggs. They also tolerate most weather conditions fairly well.😊
I believe they are known to be fall and winter layers, but don’t quote me on that one.
They would be straight run though that’s the problem with most bantams. Meyer has a new one that is sex linked and blue. I was tempted to buy some, but I have too many chickens already!🤣

Back
Top Bottom