Fall Babies

BooBear

Chicken Cuddler
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Conroe, Texas
Yep, a few of my girls decided to brood. Infact, I have another one in the nest box brooding at this moment on 4 eggs.
I have 4 adorable chicks being raised by Blueberry the cucko silkie. This is Blueberry's 2nd batch this year. There was five chicks but one died.
hit.gif

My girls kept stealing each others nests, nest materials, and eggs so it is a wonder the poor things made it to hatch. Boobear hatched 1 chick who is now 3 weeks old and is a blue wyandotte. Blueberry hatched 1 EE chick from Cinimon and one of the Ameraucana girls (blue egg). Cinimon is a partridge silkie rooster. Blueberry also hatched 1 black wyandotte chick. Both of these will be 2 weeks old this coming Friday. Also, Blueberry has adopted 1 Cornation Sussex chick that will be a week old this Friday. (there was 2 sussex chicks but the one that needed help cus she tried to zip on the wrong end did not make it.)

Boobear tried to harm the remaining sussex chick so was kicked out of the broody pen. Blueberry accepted the Sussex baby immediately and treated her as one of her own. Blueberry is now raising all 4 chicks and is doing a good job.

Below are a couple of pictures I took today of the chicks. They kept running from the camera so it was hard to get good shots of them. Please excuse the extra feathers as the broody pen is setup in the main coop in which some of the adults are experiencing molting.

69377_11-09-2011_chicks.jpg

69377_11-09-2011_speedy_an_sussex_chick.jpg

The EE chick is sooo cute and has more feathers than the 3 week old chick. She has her itty bitty tail feathers in along with her wing feathers and is starting to get her shoulder feathers. The wyandotte chicks are feathering much slower. The Sussex chick is getting her wing feathers in. Momma has been teaching them how to power dig in case they ever need to go to China for anything. It is so cute watching them dig with such gusto!

In case they have to power dig to China!
lau.gif

I came home to a crater today that could have easily fit 4 full sized chickens. Guess there was something they reallyy wanted.

big_smile.png

I had to take out the block the water was on as I was afraid it would fall and crush one of em cus they kept digging the bedding and sand from under it. I moved the water to a different spot as they seem to want to power dig in that one area.
roll.png

When predator proofing the coop no one ever mentioned that the chickens would try to dig out while the predators wanted to dig in.
tongue.png

A week has gone by and the babies now have a few more feathers. Well Speedy (EE) and the Sussex girl have a few more feathers. The wyandotte chicks are taking their time.

Momma calls them over for breakfast.
69377_11-12-2011_chicks.jpg

Sussex girl is getting tail feathers and Speedy's tail feathers have gotten a bit longer.
69377_11-12-2011_chicks7.jpg

Speedy checks out a big feather that blew in.
69377_11-12-2011_chicks8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom