Fall leaf bags

There's no recycling here.
We're a little behind the times.
I burn my trash. Maybe if I go into town and go up and down a few streets burning their trash that might get me somewheres.

I always make a post on FB and say that I'll take bags - and most people message me and put their bags out happy to have me take them instead of go to the town mulch pile. I like to keep 8 full bags in the basement, dry, and do a bag a week in my run for the girls during the snowy season. It really helps keep them entertained and ends up being great compost in the spring.

That's a bit tougher. Legally you can't steal garbage (even though it's set out for disposal). I know there's at least 1 person on here who has their entire street set out leaf litter for them to pick up, but that's obviously an organized effort and not the same as what you're hoping to do.

Aart also brings up a good point that I forgot - when I bag my leaves, because I plan on keeping them for the run and composting, I'm always making sure they're dry before bagging, and very loosely bagged so air keeps circulating inside. You don't know what condition someone else would bag their leaves in. If they're freshly raked up it should be fine to use immediately, but if they're bagged wet and sit around they will mold.
And could have dog poop in them !

And could have dog poop in them !
Depending on where you get them, they could have dog poop, or dog poop in plastic bags, or bits of old Christmas light strings, or squished plastic cups, or shreds of old tarp, or many other things. (I have seen all of those things and more.)

People bagging leaves may not bother to pick out bits of trash that have gotten into their yard, and just put it all in the bag. And then someone walks their dog along the street, picks up the poop with a plastic bag, and thinks a bag of leaves by the curb is the right place to put that bag of dog poop :rolleyes:

If you use leaves you did not personally bag, I would definitely pay attention as you dump them out, and pick out any trash you see. Some neighborhoods are probably better than others in general, and bags from some individual houses are probably much better or worse than others.

Some neighborhoods are probably better than others in general, and bags from some individual houses are probably much better or worse than others.
This is very true.
That said, I would be most concerned with bags from the most pristine yards. I would view them as more likely to contain fertilizer or ant poison residue. The ones that are doing "just enough" to avoid neighbor/code complaints would be my target.

This is very true.
That said, I would be most concerned with bags from the most pristine yards. I would view them as more likely to contain fertilizer or ant poison residue. The ones that are doing "just enough" to avoid neighbor/code complaints would be my target.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the ant poison. I found one of those little plastic ant spikes in a bag of leaves too. Ironically, it had a nest of happy ants inside-- apparently it makes a fine ant nest after the poison is gone.

Back
Top Bottom