Fall veggie garden's

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lakeshorenc, Sep 17, 2009.

1. lakeshorenc

lakeshorenc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Lake Waccamaw NC
    Anyone planting collard's, mustard, lettuces, broccoli this weekend? Is it to soon or are we to late??? What else do you plant in your fall vegetable garden's???

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am starting seeds inside this week and will be planting outside in October. My list for my winter garden is: carrots (dragon and carnival blend), lettuce (baby greens blend, and green leaf), turnips, endive, roma and red siberian tomato, romanesco broccoli, swiss chard, cabbage, pease, snow peas, brown onion, brussels sprouts, spinach, long red florence onion, and a couple kinds of garlic.

3. MoTownChickie

MoTownChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Okay, gotta ask.
    Where in California are you located? I've never heard of Siberian Tomatoes before, but now I'm intrigued.

Guess I need to start looking through my seeds and starting my fall crops too!

4. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

well, I live in New England, so I am pretty much done with my vegetable garden.

5. 1shelby1

1shelby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    whine cntry,ca.
    oh man,MORE tomato s?Just put in cabbage,broc,leeks,garlic,peas,celery root,chard,kale,and brussel sprouts last weekend.

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im planting seeds today. Just planted some zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes and peppers in pots. Will put out spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower this weekend. Still waiting for the local hardware store to get onion sets.

I love my fall garden. Ive picked tomatoes on Christmas before.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Peas, carrots, beets, radishes, lettuce, mesclun, spinach, chard, kale, bok choi, leeks, potatoes, garlic, cabbage, broccoli. Some is for fall harvest and some overwinters.

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I am in Pomona. The info on the red siberians says: Our earliest tomato- this Russian heirloom has heavy yields and excellent flavor. In warm winter/hot summer areas of south, southwest, and parts of CA, can be planted in early fall for winter harvest.

I haven't planted them before so I don't know how they really do, but I am looking forward to finding out.

9. lakeshorenc

lakeshorenc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Lake Waccamaw NC
    Ya'll have inspired me. I'm gonna look into planting more. I really love the lettuce garden, it does really well here all winter long. DH LOVES collards, me not so much. I like the mustard greens better, they are easier to digest. Thanks for the ideas!!!

10. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by