Falling off roost while sleeping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JHaller, Jan 29, 2009.

1. JHaller

JHaller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Austin TX
    I heard a loud thud while out my yard late last night and discovered my 6-month-old Wyandotte had fallen off the roost and tumbled down the ramp. I picked her up and looked her over. She was sleepy, but appeared unhurt. I put her back on the roost. She seems fine today. My questions to the more experienced chicken keepers are....

--Is falling off a roost a common occurrence?
    --Can I prevent it?
    --What kind of injuries can occur?
    --Should a roost be close to a floor or droppings board to avoid injury?

Now I'm wondering how many birds have done this and if I should re-engineer my coop for better safety. The roost is about 6 inches above the floor, but there is an opening to the lower floor close by. The ramp serves as door. I haven't been closing it at night because the birds are up earlier than me and their pen is secure.

Thanks,

Judith

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Keep the birds off 6th Street! [​IMG] Drunk chickens how humiliating [​IMG]

I know I am no help but that is just funny! My oldest kid would push his younger brother off the top bunk onto the bottom bunk because, "Babe bruder bount funny." I watched...he did...[​IMG] Maybe a sibling pushed her!

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    THis is a new one on me. I have never seen or heard of a chicken falling off the roost while asleep & I'd like to think I qualify as a more experienced chicken keeper.

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    If she fell down the ramp, does that mean the coop door was open? And if it was, is it possible something got in perhaps? Maybe she's not so goofy after all?

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I have seen mine push others off the roost.

1 person likes this.
  6. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    [​IMG] OMG- I have to agree with Teach97- my first thought was "Why are your chickens drunk?" But seriously? I have seen my toddlers fall asleep standing next to the couch and fall down. It's normal unless it's a habit.

7. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I have seen parrots do that but never a chicken-yet.............[​IMG]

8. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Chickens CAN'T fall off a roost. They can fall off a flat board or a flat tilted board but if you have a roost (pole, stick, limb) that they can wrap their feet around, it is not possible for them to fall. Chickens don't balance on a limb or roost. When they stand on a limb, the tendons in their legs automaticly tighten on the limb. Just the way they are built. All fowl (that I know of) have this factor. They have to CONSIOUSLY unwrap their foot (or feet) before they fly off a roost. A tree limb or a closet pole is the best roost for chickens. In the cold, freezing months, they need a flat board roost so they can sit on their toes to keep them from freezing.

9. JHaller

JHaller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Austin TX
    Wow, I didn't realize they had such a "failsafe" system in their legs. That's good to know. That means that the bird must have left the roost on purpose.

How do they navigate in the dark? She must have misjudged where the ladder opening was located.

[​IMG] The party district is off-limits after dusk. We keep a strict curfew here. They know that 6th street is off limits, so no corrupting influences shall occur.

Thanks!

10. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Yeah...that's what they tolds us Ags when we went down but we found it anyways!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by