Falling over, green watery poop, thin, but eating and drinking. Ugh. Help?

devin.carlson

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 10, 2011
My hen had 6 chicks last spring and I'm down to the last one!

Earlier this past fall, a different chick had strange symptoms that waxed and waned - her weight fluctuated, she couldn't seem to walk without falling to the right, and she just sat with her feathers fluffed. By the time I knew something was wrong, she had a seizure and died.

So, down to the last pullet. She began to have trouble walking and I immedietely brought her into the house. She is eating and drinking (Gets oyster shells mixed with layer crumbles and cracked corn). I have mixed her water with Vital (an electrolyte solution) and that's all good. Unfortunately, she's not really improving.

Because of this, I did a 5-day deworming course of Pyrantel. I read it in the Plumb Veterinary Book, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

She's got watery green BAD SMELLING stool, with the normal amount of urates in it. She just stands with her feathers fluffed and doesn't do much. Anyone have advice? The clinic I work at and the others in the area don't deal with chickens, so I'm on my own. I really don't want to lose her: I lost her dad to a dog earlier this winter and her siblings to hawks and this.. this issue!! Anyone?!

Devin, the terrible chicken keeper

Back
Top Bottom