Falling over roo? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VannahRAe, Nov 25, 2012.

1. VannahRAe

VannahRAe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    Okay so I went out to feed and water the chickens this morning and I noticed my roo Dinosaur Red fell over on the ground and couldn't get up at all. I picked him up and put him back on his feet and he started walking around but fell back over soon after. I've got him in his own pen right now away from the others cause when he falls over they all run over him. I've got water and feed in his pen with him . Someone please help me out here . I need to know what to do with my boy. Has anyone had this happen before??

2. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    I have had the same happen before. I never was able to discover the cause. Without knowing the cause, the only thing to do is make sure he is getting water. I have used vitamin water with a seringe to get water down them and keep them hydrated. Most die anyway, but some have pulled through. Is yours an old roo or a young one? I have had this condition happen almost exclusively with you birds under 6 months old. Never had it happen with a bird over a year old. Wish I could be of more help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by