!!!False Pregnancy in Dogs Question!!!

Well from my side its all good news. My mom and I got super worried since she was the runt of the litter and is too young to be bred yet and is of course smaller than her siblings. Anyways we didnt want her to get prego yet so we took her to get X Rayed and the vet didnt see anything and when we got there here temp went back up so we are pretty relieved lol. Thanks for all the advice. Oh and her sister who my friend bought, ironically, when into heat and got pregnant at the same as my dog and she is due any day now and is absolutely huge. So if you guys want I can post pics of her sisters puppies when she has them
smile.png

Quote:
This isn't a good idea. Just touching the mammary glands encourages them to produce more milk, increasing the chance of mastitis and drawing out the lactation. If the dog has mastitis she will also have other symptoms (fever, depression, lack of appetite, thirst), only investigate if she seems unwell.

Quote:
This isn't a good idea. Just touching the mammary glands encourages them to produce more milk, increasing the chance of mastitis and drawing out the lactation. If the dog has mastitis she will also have other symptoms (fever, depression, lack of appetite, thirst), only investigate if she seems unwell.

nope nope nope nope nope.

If a b.itch is lactating, whether it's from impending whelping for from a pseudo-pregnancy, they should always be examined carefully to make sure none of the mammary glands are hard or hot.

EXPRESSING milk causes milk production. Mastitis can be very nasty and very painful, so b.itches that are trying to lactate SHOULD be carefully monitored. I check grump twice a day the entire time they are nursing, and also keep an eye on any girl that is bagging up from a false pregnancy.

Quote:

I apprecaitte the correction. But sadly you are misinformed , I have bred Long Coat chihuahuas, Olde English Mastiffs, and was a vet tech at an amazing veterinary clinic with 7 vets for over 6 years, and everyone of them has advised me at one time or another to use this technique and it has saved a few of my bltches lives....

Last edited:
I was hoping someone else who actually breeds dogs would reply.

Mastitis can crop up at ANY time when a b.itch is lactating, whether she has puppies nursing or not. Checking breasts often (multiple times daily) can save not only the breast, but the life of the b.itch.

Just keep a watch on her. Mastitis in b.itches with FP is not common, but it can happen.

Normal breasts in the dog may be fuller with lactation, even during a FP, but should be pliable and not firm or hot to the touch.

I have a question im not sure if my dog is pregnant or not. Shes showing almost all signs of pregnancy except she hasnt gain TOO much weight and i dont feel anything but she is producing milk now and shes been acting different and a few more things. Her temp is starting to drop now though. She might just be carrying them up high until the last minute though. Im not sure please help!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom