Fan placement in the coop

Jester57

Songster
Nov 13, 2021
The weather, here in Missouri, never ceases to amaze me. We went from 50 degrees on Sunday to 90+ on Monday. All in all, it's been a cold Spring and then we leapt right into Summer. In the run, I've got temperature controlled fans running but nothing in the coop. I've got a broody hen in there that refuses to relocate, so I need to put a fan in the coop. It'll be temperature controlled as well but I'm not sure where to place it. Any general suggestions?

The weather, here in Missouri, never ceases to amaze me. We went from 50 degrees on Sunday to 90+ on Monday. All in all, it's been a cold Spring and then we leapt right into Summer. In the run, I've got temperature controlled fans running but nothing in the coop. I've got a broody hen in there that refuses to relocate, so I need to put a fan in the coop. It'll be temperature controlled as well but I'm not sure where to place it. Any general suggestions?
Just high enough the birds can feel it. Mine love the fan

Edit: i also keep the windows in my coop open.

I'm not a fan of using fans rather than designing for passive airflow.

Not only can fans present a fire hazard, but power has this tendency to go out in the middle of the hottest days just when you need it most.

That said, this is the sort of airFLOW you're looking for -- removing heat, moisture, and ammonia from the top of the coop and bringing cool, fresh air in below.

Airflow Crayon.png

I had used a fan blowing in to force the air out the other side. After a while I realized that with proper ventilation it was unnecessary and really made no discernable difference. That and the only time the would get any potential benefit was at night when it was cooler anyway. The fan just hangs there collecting dust now.

I have an oscillating fan in my larger coop and it blows through the dividing wall screen right on the hens.

Check out the active Missouri thread...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/calling-any-one-from-missouri.73271/page-1556#post-25763937

JT

Hi! Can you send me a link of the solar fan you're using? I've been looking for one to no avail.

I tried to link it for you but can't find it anymore on Amazon! We bought it a few years ago, they must not sell it now
I think I spoke too soon! Does this link work for you? Keep in mind, it's a small fan, only about 5 inches, it's all the bigger we needed

Solar fan 5W 4 inch free energy for Greenhouse motorhome House Chicken House outdoor Home cooling chicken coop by Seddex https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B89ZV32/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_58EWP51WXHWJ8MNGQWF1

Back
Top Bottom