Fancy Mice *Pic Heavy*

Quote:
Its hard to explain brindle terms,lol.

The term Unmarked brindle is used mainly on forums and stuff since its not showable. Its probly not listed any where when it talks about standards, etc.
Its like when looking up mice with heavy c dilutes, theres really no names for the colors
Look up" unmarked brindle mouse" on google.
I dont use AFRMA.

Fawn/Black Brindle is the most common brindle.

The hardest colors to get brindles in is White/Beige Brindle ( Black-Eyed White mouse with pastel stripes) Gold/Blue Brindle (pale cream/gold background color with blue stripes)

Last edited:
Ok, so its more like a mismark that can still be used in a breeding program.
What org do you use?
I had the fawn/black, some gold blues and a couple of the beige brindles. I also recall getting one really funky satin, long coated red eyed yellow/chocolate brindle. Not sure if yellow is correct, it was a very strong goldish color, but with chocolate striping.

I use East Coast Mouse Association, but since Im not activly showing, I dont always breed standard colors currently.

I love merles and roans, plus they make breeding easy since I can use them both in the same line
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Brindles are hard to explain, lets say you have two brindle parents that are marked to standard, or in the very least, sooty. theres a chance you will get some solid colored orange babies, with black eyes, those are "unmarked" brindles, meaning that they carry the striping but don't show it, but aren't "champagne" because champagne have to have red eyes, in order to be considered a "champagne"
so if you breed that "unmarked" brindle to say, a black self mouse, you will get some brindle babies, and also some unmarked babies.

there are alot of colors that don't have a name and are "Mixed" colors.

I found that brindles were actually quite hard to breed and maintain in my breeders, the genetics seemed to stray lol, I once got an entire litter of black selfs out of two brindle parents, and I have NO idea where black selfs came from, because neither parent had any black selfs in their line.

my favorite two colors are tri-color what would be a "black" tri-color, and black merle, I plan on getting into both, as well as siamese and hairless.

someone on a forum I'm on breeds "agouti" merles and they are gorgeous.

Quote:
To work on even one color, you have to produce tons of mice. What do you do with all the culls?

I debated on this as well. I'm not happy with not having much animal protein in my feed. Would it be "safe" to feed small/babies/hoppers to my chickens?

Quote:
To work on even one color, you have to produce tons of mice. What do you do with all the culls?

I debated on this as well. I'm not happy with not having much animal protein in my feed. Would it be "safe" to feed small/babies/hoppers to my chickens?

it is safe, but I warn you, you have to force yourself to be extremely un-attached (which is HARD when it comes to mice), I onlt fed excess pinkies when I bred feeders, but from the time I started until the time my feeder lines died out, I had a problem with it, I only fed excess male babies usually a day after they were born, but I had to "drop and run", I could never stand around to watch my ducks gobble them up.

Quote:

it is safe, but I warn you, you have to force yourself to be extremely un-attached (which is HARD when it comes to mice), I onlt fed excess pinkies when I bred feeders, but from the time I started until the time my feeder lines died out, I had a problem with it, I only fed excess male babies usually a day after they were born, but I had to "drop and run", I could never stand around to watch my ducks gobble them up.

While they are cute, I have no problem selling my mice and rats as feeders, nor do I have a problem killing them to feed my snakes or killing them for freezer camp. It's their 'mission' on Earth...to be food.

Here's a video of my chickens enjoying a tasty rat pup meal....the rat pups were already dead when I found them. One thing I wouldn't do is put a live rat pup or live mouse pink through the torture of chickens....they don't kill them immediately.

Back
Top Bottom