Fancy Pants the Blind (and maybe asthmatic) Silkie Chicken

Nov 5, 2019
Hi everyone! I know it's been a while, but I'm glad to be back, thought I'd share a bit about one of my chickens. She's having a tough time right now.

Fancy Pants is an ~2 yrs old silkie (who we think is a hen but she's never laid. looks a bit like a roo but has never crowed.) She is super sweet and fluffy and has some rather unique traits. First, we're pretty sure she's mostly blind. She can see a little out of one eye, but needs help with a lot of everyday things. This can cause problems when she can't find the food/water/the exit to the coop. The other thing about her is that she gets sick often. She acts as if she has gapeworm, but there is no evidence of that and the other chickens show no symptoms. It only happens when it's super cold, or dusty. Right now she is having one of those episodes, which is really scary and I don't know if she can make it through this one (but I'm not going to lose hope).

She ate a scrambled egg with veggies and is sitting on my lap as I write this. I have just given her a syringe of water with olive oil, electrolytes and probiotics and one of plain water.

Thanks for reading.
IMG-4469.jpg

Back
Top Bottom