fanning out of tail feathers

mwells6chicks

Songster
7 Years
Jun 8, 2013
NJ
I saw a video on Youtube to help determine sex. They said that when the females are turned upside down they will fan their tale feathers and roosters won't. Can anyone tell me if this is true? Back to bumble bee, I turned him/her forward and down and she/he fanned its tail feathers. Still no cockle doodling but definite clucking going on. Now I'm confused by its behavior. Postures like a rooster, chasing the one chick that hatched with him. The other chick disappeared a couple of days ago. Jumps on the hens but is afraid of them and runs away. He/she is 14 weeks and 3 days now. I found a home for him if he is a rooster but what if she is a hen? Should I wait to give him/her away? Since I lost the other chick it would be nice to have the extra egg. I hate to give him/her up, it is such a beautiful bird. Also it has bright yellow/orange legs. Does anyone know of a breed that has bright yellow legs?

I dont think its true as while i do have a hen who very much fans her tail feathers I also had one who was a stick in the mud and kept her tail tight...come to think of it though I never remember rosters doing it....I must find some to test this theroy out now

If you can post a picture that would be the easiest way for people to help determine what you have. From what you are describing of Bumblebee's behavior it could just be dominance play, but I would wonder if it is a roo, 14 weeks is not that young and some roos that age are trying to jump the hens, and the hens will often chase adolescent roosters away. Both my roosters and my hens will sometimes fan their tails if I hold them upside down, so don't think that method works that well. There are quite a few breeds that have bright yellow/orange legs.

Bumblebee's a rooster. I'd say that he is Columbian Plymouth Rock/Columbian Plymouth Rock mix. Pretty bird!

Bumblebee looks like a rooster. He doesn't have any feathers on his feet does he? He kind of looks like a mix with the red on his shoulders, he looks a lot like a Columbian colored Plymouth Rock otherwise (if no foot feathers). http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rocks/BRKRocks.html there are some pictures of them farther down the page.

I agree--definitely a rooster, and possibly a Columbian Plymouth rock cross.

This is Bumble Bee at 19 weeks. still not cockle-doodling. Sounds more like the hens. deathly afraid of the alpha hen in the older group. Next to him is Stripe, (She had a stripe when hatched), also 19 weeks, they hatched together. they stick together but they are both afraid of the hens. I'm afraid for Stripe after he leaves, that the other hens won't accept her. They all graze together but if she gets too close to them, all they have to do is look at her and she runs. Any advice? Also I have a Rhode Island Red that is molting. She has started to eye me and attack my feet and legs. I shove her aside but she also does this to my husband as well. He followed her around afterwards and I think intimidated her. Has anyone had a hen get all assertive like that? and no, she is not the Alpha of the group.

A lot of RIR hens seem to be pretty bossy girls, they will even try to push people around if they can get away with it, and a lot of molting chickens are pretty darn cranky... you are sure it is a girl?
At 19 weeks they are still a little on the young side to be comfortable with the adult hens, when you place Bumblebee you might have to work on integrating Stripe in to the big flock. Maybe keeping her and Bumblebee and the lowest ranking member of the big flock together for awhile might be something to think about.
You might be better off to post these behavior questions in the Managing Your Flock forum, you will probably get more answers there.

Back
Top Bottom