Farm chatter

@CHlCKEN
0762BEBB-838F-48E3-839A-7735ECEB9F77.jpeg
75E48CB0-840B-42DC-B50B-3FFA7A491EEB.jpeg

Can’t remember if I posted these here yet.

but yes it seems like everyone who has budgies is breeding them for stupid reasons.
Here’s s some I’ve seen:
  • Fun
  • Something to do during COVID
  • Because my budgies are mating
  • Because my budgie laid eggs and I can’t stand to throw them out
  • Just because
  • Personal enjoyment with no regard whatsoever to the health and well-being of my budgies and their future chicks

Breeding parrots is nothing like breeding poultry. Yes, budgies will most likely breed if given the opportunity, but that really doesn’t mean you should. Baby newborn budgies are completely helpless at hatch, no feathers, no sight, no nothing. They have to be fed by their parents every 1-2hours around the clock, for 30-40 days. And if for any reason the parents can’t do that for all of the chicks that hatch, the person responsible for creating them in the first place has to take over. Most people the “just for fun” ones won’t do that, and the chick ends up dying. Even if they did, it’s a very difficult and tedious process, and it’s extremely easy to kill them. Only very experienced and responsible breeders should hand feed especially such a young and fragile bird. Plus, budgies are so overpopulated in captivity, and most rescues are overflowing with them, so there is absolutely no reason to go creating more. Thanks for the opportunity to rant.

Back
Top Bottom