Farm chatter

1606925343802.png

Here's a better pictures of him.

The ones at the farm are really quiet, but maybe I haven't been there long enough. It does seem like roosters would be louder, though. Fantasy farm first, then realistic farm. Fantasy farm:
basically everything.
Livestock:
Chickens, of course! Seperated into a main coop, bachelor pad, bantam coop, and breeding coop/breeding pens. I'd love to breed cochins, focusing on blue, black, and splash, and maybe lavender.
Ducks-not that many. Probably runners and pekins, nothing fancy.
Pigeons-in an aviary. No racing pigeons because that is STRESSFUL!
Quail-in said aviary with pigeons. Quail are ADORABLE
peacocks- lower priority than everything else, but I'd LOVE to have a few. Only a couple.
sheep-they are FLOOF, and I can spin their floof into yarn, which I can then crochet with.
goats-they're GOATS. no more explanation needed.
horses- realistically I probably couldn't care for one on my own, but I can't help dreaming!! I'd love a black horse, or one of those pretty ones- I think that they're called paints?
Pets:
1 dog to serve as livestock guardian dog. no idea on breed, or what breeds are good.
1 dog to be pet doggo. I love bernese mountain dogs, labs, and golden retrievers.
cat. Maine coon cats are AMAZING, but I'd probably end up with a shelter cat.
fish- large fish tanks with lots of fishes.
rabbit. no explanation, i'd just like a rabbit.
Basically i just want to surround myself with animals of every variety.
Realistic:
Chickens-probably a smaller coop than I'd like, maybe with a bachelor pad. Probably no separate bantam coop.
pigeons: smaller aviary than I'd like, and probably fewer birds.
quail: see above ^
sheep or goats: probably only 3. Don't think I could handle both, just one or the other.

dog- same as fantasy, but instead of an LGS I'd probably just have a dog that's trained not to eat my animals.
cat: same as fantasy.
fish: probably a betta fish tank (10 gallons) and a tank with neon tetras (probably 20 gallons). probably nothing else, and no larger tanks.
rabbit: maybe. Probably not.
Sounds like you have learned a LOT and will make a great professional farm staffer - until you can qualify for an AG loan and buy - or lease - your own spread perhaps with other likeminded folks...AG takes a team and seasonal organizing ability, if you want to do much. I know some people who got permission to grow stuff on several acres for free on a corporate farm since they'd be caring for the property and improving the soil. A lot of Boomer ranchers could really use help...their own kids move on to chase their own dreams. Many have space for a Tiny Home...and already have infrastructure and equipment. You probably already have a lot of options to discover! A Tiny Home allows one to move on for a seasonal break when you want, maybe work a harvest here and there, to visit and study different set-ups and test out areas you are considering for your own or a shared place...if your own community doesn't seem to present a future.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom