Farm chatter

1610890238261.png

OMG
:lau:lau:lau

Lol!! What's really hilarious is that this is how I watched my friend pick out my first chicks for me....and it WORKED. Though a bit differently. She held her hand flat and would quickly dart her hand at the chick. She said the chicks that were startled and stepped back were pullets and the ones that held their ground were cockerels. It could have been dumb luck but I'll never forget it because they were day old chicks the guy had just pulled out of the incubator and I ended up with all pullets.

Last edited:
OMG OK
SO WHILE I WAS PEACEFULLY SITTING ON BYC
MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS
I HEARD THE CHICKENS FREAKING THE H*LL OUT
AND I LOOKED THROUGH MY WINDOW
AND THEY WERE FLYING ALL OVER THE PLACE
SO I *SPRINTED* OUTSIDE
AND I SAW A HAWK FLYING AWAY FROM WHERE IT HAD BEEN TRYING TO GO THROUGH A TINY GAP BETWEEN THE ROOF AND THE EDGE OF THE RUN
THERE'S CHICKEN WIRE UNDER THAT
AND I FREAKED OUT BECAUSE I COULD ONLY SEE ONE CHICKEN, WHO WAS HALFWAY IN THE COOP
BUT THEN THE OTHER THREE WERE ALL SQUISHED INTO THE FARTHEST NESTING BOX FROM THE RUN
OMG THIS WAS TERRIFYING

Lol!! What's really hilarious is that this is how I watched my friend pick out my first chicks for me....and it WORKED. Though a bit differently. She held her hand flat and would quickly dart her hand at the chick. She said the chicks that were startled and stepped back were pullets and the ones that held their ground were cockerels. It could have been dumb luck but I'll never forget it because that were day old chicks they guy had just pulled out of the incubator and I ended up with all pullets.
I suppose there might be some merit.....by some I mean like 4% of it is merit. It probably wouldn't work for particularly, or even mildly, aggressive females or docile males.

OMG OK
SO WHILE I WAS PEACEFULLY SITTING ON BYC
MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS
I HEARD THE CHICKENS FREAKING THE H*LL OUT
AND I LOOKED THROUGH MY WINDOW
AND THEY WERE FLYING ALL OVER THE PLACE
SO I *SPRINTED* OUTSIDE
AND I SAW A HAWK FLYING AWAY FROM WHERE IT HAD BEEN TRYING TO GO THROUGH A TINY GAP BETWEEN THE ROOF AND THE EDGE OF THE RUN
THERE'S CHICKEN WIRE UNDER THAT
AND I FREAKED OUT BECAUSE I COULD ONLY SEE ONE CHICKEN, WHO WAS HALFWAY IN THE COOP
BUT THEN THE OTHER THREE WERE ALL SQUISHED INTO THE FARTHEST NESTING BOX FROM THE RUN
OMG THIS WAS TERRIFYING

Would the hawk be able to get through the gap? Maybe put some hardware cloth there?

I suppose there might be some merit.....by some I mean like 4% of it is merit. It probably wouldn't work for particularly, or even mildly, aggressive females or docile males.

Right, you would think so. I've always wanted to get her to do that for me again on one of my own hatches to see what we end up with. Lol

Back
Top Bottom