Farm chatter

Marthe is still doing the same. I moved her from the bowl into a dog crate and she moves around it a lot even though her legs dont work. Very flop. Her toes are super curled up & she sprawls a lot. she can get her legs under her to sit up, but standing is out of the question. shes still eagerly eating and drinking.

I'm considering tying her legs together like how you do for splayed leg chicks. but I'm not sure where it would be the most helpful.

The rest of my young birds have no symptoms so far.

& speaking of gamefowl, my two American gamehens have been missing for awhile. still not sure if theyll turn up with babies or if they're gone for good.
Maybe a good spot for a chicken sling?
1624300277440.png

You cut holes for legs as well as a poop hole
@Wyorp Rock may know if this is a good situation for one, I'm not sure

Marthe is still doing the same. Shes eating and drinking with vigor and is pretty good at waddling around. theres definitely a lot of sprawling and flailing, but she can get her legs underneath her and "stand" on her hocks (I think that's what youd call it... the leg between her knee and her foot is flat on the ground).
View attachment 2728334
Woo!
Go Marthe go!

Oh wow! Wheaten Crele? Those got to be gorgeous! You are living the dream! I don't know if you already are, but if you're not, you really ought to look into showing your Orpingtons. I used to have the American Buff. I did a little bit of breeding with them, but by time I got seriously into breeding, they all were into retirement. I had one pure ABO hen, Joy, who was my top brooder for a lot of years after the rest of the ABOs left. From my original ABOs, I got some Buff Comets, and from those, I got a barnyard mix group that I called Douglas Whites. My Douglas Whites were my prize. They were these EE hybrids. They were excellent layers of large to jumbo blue to blue green eggs. The biggest issue I had with them was one the hatches, I was more likely to get mostly cockerels for whatever reason, than pullets. Whereas with my ABOs and Buff Comets, I was hatching more pullets than cockerels.
Yep, a project I've been working on since I joined BYC. I was a beginner, & was still in the learning process of Chicken genetics.

Your project sounds interesting though. How long have you been working on those?

Back
Top Bottom