Farm chatter

Yep, a project I've been working on since I joined BYC. I was a beginner, & was still in the learning process of Chicken genetics.

Your project sounds interesting though. How long have you been working on those?
Not too long. Maybe from 2015 to maybe 2019. Unfortunately, do to certain circumstances, I wasn't able to keep my birds. I ended up not having anything in the end. Last September I was finally able to start building up a flock of six hens. I hope to get back to breeding soon, and hopefully someday be able to bring back the Douglas Whites. But the only thing is, even if I can, there's something that I was breeding into the flock that I might not to ever be able to bring back again. Plus, on top of things, I think that the father of the Douglas Whites, Douglas, was a mix, because he didn't look pure, so that's another thing that I might not have.

Here's some pictures of the Douglas Whites:

Vienna with a Buff Comet behind her.
IMG_9358.JPG

Shiloh with Mercedes the Buff Comet.
IMG_9343.JPG

Marvalo II with some Golden and Buff Comets, and Shiloh in the background.
IMG_9333.JPG

Chenoa.
IMG_0427.JPG

Jose`.
IMG_4169.JPG

Some pictures of young Douglas Whites. Unfortunately, as I've said, most were roosters.
IMG_6743.JPG

IMG_6719.JPG
IMG_6840.JPG
IMG_7492.JPG

IMG_7147.JPG

Jose`'s chicks. Just part of the Douglas Whites, but was only related because of Jose`. Bailey (Left) and Cave II (Right).
IMG_9319.JPG

Vienna's daughter Katie II. Katie's father was a NHR named Duke. She had the Douglas White eggs and Vienna's body build.
IMG_7118.JPG

Katie is where the linage stopped. After her is when I had to rehome my two flocks of chickens, and soon my geese (Sebastipol hybrids) and my beloved bantams (Silver Duckwing Old English Game).

View attachment 2730041
View attachment 2730043
View attachment 2730046
Chenoa.
View attachment 2730056
Jose`.
View attachment 2730048
Some pictures of young Douglas Whites. Unfortunately, as I've said, most were roosters.
View attachment 2730049
View attachment 2730051View attachment 2730052View attachment 2730053
View attachment 2730059
Jose`'s chicks. Just part of the Douglas Whites, but was only related because of Jose`. Bailey (Left) and Cave II (Right).
View attachment 2730062
Vienna's daughter Katie II. Katie's father was a NHR named Duke. She had the Douglas White eggs and Vienna's body build.
View attachment 2730066

Katie is where the linage stopped. After her is when I had to rehome my two flocks of chickens, and soon my geese (Sebastipol hybrids) and my beloved bantams (Silver Duckwing Old English Game).
What was your goal for the breed? Any specific patterning/coloring? Muffs/beard? Comb type? leg color?

What was your goal for the breed? Any specific patterning/coloring? Muffs/beard? Comb type? leg color?
What all started it was Douglas. I had nothing but Buff, Buff, Buff. Prairie (a Barred Rock rooster) and Douglas came on to the scene, and being sick of Buff, I fell in love with Douglas's colors. So instead of breeding with Jimmy (my Buff Comet roo), I bred with Douglas. He provided the new color, white, into the flock. I didn't think that he was pure Ameruacana or the EE that everyone refers to, so I didn't know if I'd get any new egg colors other than the same ol brown. Well, he gave blue to blue green eggs. I loved the patterns that Douglas gave. As far as muffs/beards, Douglas didn't offer that. He was muffless. Kinda the reason why I thought he wasn't pure, because that breed had always had the muffs on the roosters. I questioned if he was part Red-Shouldered Yokohama because of his color pattern. I wasn't looking for a pea comb, but I did get that. On the legs, they had all different colors. Chenoa had white, Marvalo and Vienna had olive, and Shiloh and José had yellow.
Oh, and I said it in another post, they were a group. I can't really classify them as a breed. If I can rebreed the Douglas Whites in the future, I'd love to prefect them as a breed, though I'd probably never go for getting them recognized by the APA.

What all started it was Douglas. I had nothing but Buff, Buff, Buff. Prairie (a Barred Rock rooster) and Douglas came on to the scene, and being sick of Buff, I fell in love with Douglas's colors. So instead of breeding with Jimmy (my Buff Comet roo), I bred with Douglas. He provided the new color, white, into the flock. I didn't think that he was pure Ameruacana or the EE that everyone refers to, so I didn't know if I'd get any new egg colors other than the same ol brown. Well, he gave blue to blue green eggs. I loved the patterns that Douglas gave. As far as muffs/beards, Douglas didn't offer that. He was muffless. Kinda the reason why I thought he wasn't pure, because that breed had always had the muffs on the roosters. I questioned if he was part Red-Shouldered Yokohama because of his color pattern. I wasn't looking for a pea comb, but I did get that. On the legs, they had all different colors. Chenoa had white, Marvalo and Vienna had olive, and Shiloh and José had yellow.
Oh, and I said it in another post, they were a group. I can't really classify them as a breed. If I can rebreed the Douglas Whites in the future, I'd love to prefect them as a breed, though I'd probably never go for getting them recognized by the APA.
It would be really cool if you ever did make them a breed!

Not too long. Maybe from 2015 to maybe 2019. Unfortunately, do to certain circumstances, I wasn't able to keep my birds. I ended up not having anything in the end. Last September I was finally able to start building up a flock of six hens. I hope to get back to breeding soon, and hopefully someday be able to bring back the Douglas Whites. But the only thing is, even if I can, there's something that I was breeding into the flock that I might not to ever be able to bring back again. Plus, on top of things, I think that the father of the Douglas Whites, Douglas, was a mix, because he didn't look pure, so that's another thing that I might not have.
4 years is a decent amount of time breeding chickens. I've been doing breeding since 2018, so a good 3 years for me.

Maybe you can make a new project if you can't restart your original?

View attachment 2730041
View attachment 2730043
View attachment 2730046
Chenoa.
View attachment 2730056
Jose`.
View attachment 2730048
View attachment 2730049
View attachment 2730051View attachment 2730052View attachment 2730053
View attachment 2730059
View attachment 2730062
View attachment 2730066

They're pretty, & most were pretty consistent in body type, & coloration.

He looks part American Game, those legs are pretty long, his feathering is abit tight.

A friend just confirmed that my EE looks to be part Gamefowl.
20210221_141940.jpg
20210221_141838.jpg

Back
Top Bottom