Farm Day 2013 - Peafowl photos!

Great pictures! He sure does have a lot of greens! Were you able to see the White Spalding up close? I wonder if you would actually be able to see characteristics of green peafowl on their feathers even though they are white. That friendly green boy reminds me of the green peacock at Sylvan Heights Bird Park. He would come up to the fence and peck your fingers.

Yep, I remember that friendy male one well. I also loved that big monster of a green in the big pen with the turkeys. Elton H is working the same angle with the whites and Javas. So you will all see them probably in a coupla years. The cat was up there also when i saw him. Too cute . people thought he was stuck in the net cause he was rolling playing haha. The chickens are there for cleanup. Everything you said pretty much mirrors how I feel. Green bonanza to be sure, Like Kathy said Great pics! I didnt take the first one.But mine wouldnt be near as good as yours anyway, Keep em coming!

Great pictures! He sure does have a lot of greens! Were you able to see the White Spalding up close? I wonder if you would actually be able to see characteristics of green peafowl on their feathers even though they are white. That friendly green boy reminds me of the green peacock at Sylvan Heights Bird Park. He would come up to the fence and peck your fingers.
No actually looking back at the upcoming photos there are two white spalding peacocks in the same pen and both of them were moving too fast. I think they were more nervous than the green peacocks. I am sure if they had enough green blood (which I am sure these boys do) you would see the scaled feathers for sure. Most of the birds were hard to see all the detail because they were in the way back of the pen.

Yep, I remember that friendy male one well. I also loved that big monster of a green in the big pen with the turkeys. Elton H is working the same angle with the whites and Javas. So you will all see them probably in a coupla years. The cat was up there also when i saw him. Too cute . people thought he was stuck in the net cause he was rolling playing haha. The chickens are there for cleanup. Everything you said pretty much mirrors how I feel. Green bonanza to be sure, Like Kathy said Great pics! I didnt take the first one.But mine wouldnt be near as good as yours anyway, Keep em coming!
I think I know which monster green you are talking about...Or at least Aaron and I saw one with huge spurs in there. I really liked that little terrier that was wandering around. Every now and then he would go under a loose board in the green peachick/chicken barn. I figured he was looking for rats or mice. He was all business! Okay that is very cool that the chickens help clean up! Now I know something new!

Alright now it is time for India Blue varieties and Spalding varieties. Some of them I wasn't sure what they were so if you know for sure feel free to correct me or say what it is. Oh and these photos are still from the big flight pen that I loved!
The peacock laying on the roost looks like an opal to me and the one standing behind him I am not sure about...All I know is it is a spalding something...Maybe a charcoal?

I have no idea what this grey bird is...

The peacock between the two weird ones looks like a spalding split to white.

Here is a big spalding peacock.

This has to be one of the best roosts ever. I watched that black shoulder peacock fly up there and it was so cool! I would love to have such a high and huge roost....Then I could put a bed up there and sleep with my birds...I bet Peep would like that.

Here is a good photo of the roost. This photo inspired my dad to find a satellite dish for me to make something like this.

Before I left this pen I made sure to take a photo of the name of it. Someday if I have several pens maybe I can make some cool signs for them too.

On the next pen I saw this beautiful Spalding black shoulder peahen. I only saw two free-range peafowl in total but I am sure the rest were hiding.

This is one of the chick barns. On one side it has a pen full of chickens and on the other it has a bunch of this year's hatch green peachicks and one adult India Blue peacock watching over them.

Here is the green peachick side. All of the peachicks were moving all over the place and the adult India blue was just standing there. It was funny.

If you look carefully they have small colored leg bands on.

It is amazing how colorful they are already.

Several of them have clips on their beak to prevent feather picking. This seems to be a problem with some green peafowl. Does anyone know any good preventatives for feather picking? Maybe if you give them a big watermelon to pick on that could help give them something better to peck at?

Several of the pens had huge elephant ears growing next to them. Some of my later pictures will show just how huge these plants are!

Here is the other chick barn. It was hard to get photos because it was a bit dark. I don't know why these silly chicks wanted to stay in the indoor section. They never ventured out into their outdoor run.

I wasn't sure if this was a green or a spalding. A few green looking chicks were in here.

I am not really a fan of chickens but I did like the looks of this rooster. He was in a pen with lots of other chickens.

Another photo of the young green pen.

I am a tropical plant lover so not only was I excited about the birds but those huge bananas just amazed me! I thought the bananas growing in our front garden were getting big, but man these things were huge! My mom said maybe they put all of the bird poop around them. They had a cluster of bananas on them and a flower. Oh yes and those bananas mark the start of the other breeder pens which are a few spalding varieties and India blue varieties.

I think I will go ahead and make another new post.

My guess is the chickens eat up the leftover food that the peas don't eat or what they scatter around.

Before I went to the breeder pens I stopped by the other large flight pen. I am guessing this is either a bronze or charcoal peahen.

Once again all of the silly peafowl would rather be in the small area of the pen than be out roaming around in the large area. I have noticed my peas do the same thing. They hang out in the smallest section.

Bronze peahen? She has a crooked jaw but I find it awesome that they still keep her and that she is able to still eat.

Yikes! I just realized the peacock to the left has HUGE spurs! I thought that was his back toe it is so long but nope that is a spur! Destinduck is this the huge peacock you were talking about?

I like this photo because the peacock is like "Huh?"

This is the first pen starting the next group of breeder pens. This is a group of cameos and some (or maybe all) look to be cameo spalding.

Midnight Pied peacock

Spalding black shoulder peahen

Midnight Pied peacock again. I think he wants to visit the pen next door!

Spalding black shoulder peahen and is that a spalding peach?

Closeup of that same peahen as above. I just love her patterns! I don't like the spalding black shoulders but I always thought the spalding black shoulder peahens were pretty. This girl reminds me of the ones Texas Peafowl has pictured on their site.

Spalding bronze peacock

Spalding peach

Uh...Not sure

Here is an opal! Now he wasn't in lots of bright sunlight but so far I didn't see anything that made me really like the opal, but I am just not a fan of the pale varieties like the browns and greys...

The train does look different at different angles. Here it looks silvery.

Here the neck does have a strange shine.

Last edited:
This is a very pretty silver pied peacock!

Sleepy white

Bronze pied - Are Bronze pieds a little rare?

Midnight

This is one of my favorite photos from the trip! This is a purple pied peacock posing nicely against the tin wall.

Purple peahen.

Bronze looking at a spalding peahen.

Spalding blackshoulder hens.

The bird in the back might be a charcoal? The other is a spalding peahen.

Cameo

Okay everyone here is your quiz: This is a spalding peacock but can you give me at least two things that tell you this is a spalding peacock when you look at it?

Here is the sign that they had up around the peafowl pens. I am glad they had it up but I still saw people chase free-range birds and kids trying to scare penned birds. Luckily their parents got on them. I remember when my dad's friend's young sons saw my peafowl and ran after them trying to touch them. I freaked out and so did my birds.

From left to right: Pied peahen, black shoulder hen, charcoal white eye, 2 black shoulder hens.

Such a nice variety. Yeah bronze pieds are not so common.
Quote: What a gorgeous bronze blackshoulder peacock! I cannot wait to get mine!!!!

Quote: -His wings have barring on the top, whereas a green would not have that.
-Greens has very defined green scales, and this spalding does not have distinct scales, and the overall coloring is not green like the pure greens.

All of those random grayish peafowl are interesting. I think some could be charcoal hens but why would there be so many when they do not lay eggs?

Back
Top Bottom