Farm Economics, Guilt, Tight $

DellaMyDarling

Songster
Dec 13, 2017
Mass Hilltowns
Ready for some harsh criticism, reality slapping, and moving forward advice.

My plan was never to keep my chickens, and preferably not the ducks, confined in the run/coop 24/7.
Fox situation here is out of control. It takes by day, by night, varies it's attacks and strategies, only solution is to actually eliminate it.

Money is tight.
I cannot afford an addition to the run.
I cannot afford a gun, it is high priority for when I can.
I have not had luck getting a Craigslist used electric netting fence or any other such assistance for my problem.

I have too many birds in too small of a space.
You all know how this isn't good for them, although so far it's worked out ok. I know only a matter of time before it doesn't.
I'm also struggling to rid my older hens of northern Fowl Mites, they're health is deteriorating, not sure what else to do.

Too many birds in too small of a space means I'm getting killed on food bill. They're eating four times what they did when free ranging!
I used to have a perfect balance of egg sales=feed cost plus enough eggs for us. Fox ate my best layers first.

Here's the bird inventory:

4 Ancona juvenile ducks. Waiting to see who has an appendage ;)
1 Blue Swedish hen (won't lay, don't know why)
1 Welsh Harlequin hen (Molting, laying paused, but very reliable)
4 Welsh Harlequin ducklings (again, waiting for the boy traits to emerge)
Plan is to keep females and one male, so several of these duckers will leave. It's looking like a minimum of 4?

1 gorgeous Jacque Roosteau. He stays.
6 laying hens, they stay (one infested)
12 young pullets, should start laying in October if I'm lucky
1 oops dude, from the 12 brooder batch
A bonded pair (it's a story) of one bantam and one chick that I'm pretty sure is a boy, that are also bonded to the WH ducklings
5 bantams that we ADORE
4 old farts no longer laying, but includes my favorite hen. About 5yrs. Infested with mites.

My neighbor has only one hen left, and she's an oldie clinging to life. He says he desires one winter without birds. In back of my mind I'm considering giving him four of my batch of 12 next spring, if I can ride it out through winter with everyone.

One run 10x15, attaches to coop for chickens to access at all times.
Coop is about 8x12.
Second run placed at the adjoining corners of run 1 and coop (leaves a man door sized opening for movement between runs.) 12x12

Is it evil to let my Roo and 4 old girls out to free range their life away via the fox?
Does this even clear up enough space, taking into account the few ducks that'll leave too?

How old are your ducks? If they are over 7 weeks we should be able to accurately voice sex all of them and you may be able to thin your numbers accurately more quickly. Ducks are pigs compared to chickens when it comes to food. This will also help your feed bill. Once we can identify one male and one female via voice sexing you should be able to compare the rest to them.

In the interim in your run and coop perhaps you can add a few more roosts and things for birds to climb on etc. It will keep them occupied and allow them space to get away from each other.

It's up to you on free ranging the old girls. If you don't mind losing them and it gives them a good quality of life up until their final days it will also help you with your food bill. Honestly, though it sounds harsh, I'd consider this option myself. I have an indoor cat that I never let out because, well, the family is already attached, but we got an outdoor cat knowing that he might live a shorter life but he will have enjoyable freedom and hunting time, and with this expectation in advance that something might happen it is easier emotionally for this situation to work for our family.

Is there success selling point of lay pullets on CL? POL pullets have the highest value.... and will make up for what you would have gotten in egg sales to get you through this slump.... and could maybe be enough money for a gun.

If you’re uncomfortable with leaving the older ladies to the fox, I would give them away via CL, many people would take them I am sure. Put them up as rescues and that you’re needing help finding them a home.

I agree with adding more square footage by going up with levels.

Also what’s your schedule, can you let them out evenings when you are home only? If you do that it’s really important to keep it on a schedule and not here and there, or you’ll drive them crazy waiting to get out.

Also, I’ve seen success with two hot wire strings for foxes. Maybe better than netting for you to try?

I’m sorry you’re having this stress.

POL pullets have the highest value.... and will make up for what you would have gotten in egg sales to get you through this slump.... and could maybe be enough money for a gun
Best idea, tho hard to let pullets go, it would reduce your numbers sharply and relieve the budget some, both in reduction of feed and cash in hand for the gun.
Not sure your thoughts on meat in the freezer, but....it's an option, especially if you DIY.

You've got some hard decisions ahead, but Kudos for facing it. :highfive:

Ok, we have successfully figured out that 2/4 Anconas are males. The WH ducklings still confuse my ears too much, but they eat less anyway. I can work on finding the pair of boys a home, I'd rather keep one male WH anyway. Two less birds!

I've got another post about my poor sick Barb hen. Don't think she'll survive long. One less hen :'(

Caught sight of one of the old fart hens trying to lay. Guess I shouldn't write her off yet :(

My pullets are not big enough for butchering yet. I think that might break the kids a little too. I am hesitant to sell too many because they are our "coop future". We want the oldies to pass on, the mature hens to lead, and the youngest to learn from them. Sounds a bit too idyllic I know, but the idea is that we can regain our egg sale money and long term, we need layers lol.
I will ask neighbors about taking the Cockerel and perhaps 3 pullets? One neighbor's coop will only fit four max, but other neighbor has no interest in roosters. :/

Reducing the flock is the easiest way of reducing the feed bill. Culling is never easy. I would remove the old. They tend to be more vulnerable to parasites and disease, and can act like a source for reinfection of the rest of the flock. When I sort like this, it is the maybes that are the most difficult.

Cull the obvious, the old and the sick. Cull the extra males. I would not feed the Fox, just encourages them to stay around. And my predators always eat the wrong birds.

Now any bird can get parasites, but some birds are much more prone to it. They out of the maybe flock should go.

Measure the set up, do the math, and adjust the flock, keeping the youngest, best layers next, then one favorite, if you have room. Money is an issue, you need to be practical.

Winter is coming and that will make all these problems much worse. Come winter, the flock needs to fit in the coop, with a little leeway for extra room, not extra birds.
Mrs. K

Ready for some harsh criticism, reality slapping, and moving forward advice.

My plan was never to keep my chickens, and preferably not the ducks, confined in the run/coop 24/7.
Fox situation here is out of control. It takes by day, by night, varies it's attacks and strategies, only solution is to actually eliminate it.

Money is tight.
I cannot afford an addition to the run.
I cannot afford a gun, it is high priority for when I can.
I have not had luck getting a Craigslist used electric netting fence or any other such assistance for my problem.

I have too many birds in too small of a space.
You all know how this isn't good for them, although so far it's worked out ok. I know only a matter of time before it doesn't.
I'm also struggling to rid my older hens of northern Fowl Mites, they're health is deteriorating, not sure what else to do.

Too many birds in too small of a space means I'm getting killed on food bill. They're eating four times what they did when free ranging!
I used to have a perfect balance of egg sales=feed cost plus enough eggs for us. Fox ate my best layers first.

Here's the bird inventory:

4 Ancona juvenile ducks. Waiting to see who has an appendage ;)
1 Blue Swedish hen (won't lay, don't know why)
1 Welsh Harlequin hen (Molting, laying paused, but very reliable)
4 Welsh Harlequin ducklings (again, waiting for the boy traits to emerge)
Plan is to keep females and one male, so several of these duckers will leave. It's looking like a minimum of 4?

1 gorgeous Jacque Roosteau. He stays.
6 laying hens, they stay (one infested)
12 young pullets, should start laying in October if I'm lucky
1 oops dude, from the 12 brooder batch
A bonded pair (it's a story) of one bantam and one chick that I'm pretty sure is a boy, that are also bonded to the WH ducklings
5 bantams that we ADORE
4 old farts no longer laying, but includes my favorite hen. About 5yrs. Infested with mites.

My neighbor has only one hen left, and she's an oldie clinging to life. He says he desires one winter without birds. In back of my mind I'm considering giving him four of my batch of 12 next spring, if I can ride it out through winter with everyone.

One run 10x15, attaches to coop for chickens to access at all times.
Coop is about 8x12.
Second run placed at the adjoining corners of run 1 and coop (leaves a man door sized opening for movement between runs.) 12x12

Is it evil to let my Roo and 4 old girls out to free range their life away via the fox?
Does this even clear up enough space, taking into account the few ducks that'll leave too?

We have a much worse predator situation. We have to deal with foxes, jackals, grey mongoose, bear cats, jungle cats, fishing cats, leopard cats tons of strey dogs and cats, monitor lizards, many kinds of snakes, peregrine falcon and Indian Eagle Owls. My farm is located between Valmiki wildlife sanctuary of India and Chitwan National Park of Nepal. I can't kill them both because most of them are protected and we are not allowed to have firearms. Government gives compensation only for the loss of large livestock like cows and buffaloes. With hardwork and dedication we trained a trio of LGD pups to protect my flock from all these predators, we had no choice but to free range our chickens and they are successfully keeping the flock safe from all ground predators. For arial predators we use a goose.

Hunting a predator is not a solution. It will only temporarily solve your problems. You will kill the resident fox and after a while another fox will settle down on your property.

A livestock guardian dog is your best bet in a fox attack.

Back
Top Bottom