Farm innovator styrofoam still air incubator

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I was setting up my incubator to hatch next week, it is a styrofoam still air incubator. Mine is a farm innovator 2100. Hand turn. I didn't have a turner to fit mine, so I cut up an old yellow top turner, and just use the resting cups for shipped eggs incase of a saddle.

So, I cleaned out my incubator from my last hatch, water and vinegar, then let is sit in the sun for an hr. I am deciding to dry hatch this time. (I have before.) And just add distilled water after day 18. I do plan on candling before then to make sure they are getting some humidity. Plus my house is not 0 humidity. Plugs out whole hatch.

After washing my incubator (not the electric parts, those just got wiped down and sun.) I had a side table I am going to put my incubator in. but keep the doors open. (I wanted to try this side table idea.) I put some pennies dated before 1982 in the water trays. No water yet, but I will not be able to put pennies in later, because the metal grate the eggs rest on goes on next. The metal grate has a curve/swoop to it. It is not flat most likely. Put the metal grate so the swoop dips to the middle/eggs will roll towards the middle of the incubator, rather than the swoop bowed up, that will cause the eggs to roll towards the edges of the incubator. Don't let any eggs touch the walls of the incubator. I keep my own (Not digital) thermometer/hydrometer in incubator, besides the digital on incubator. The temps match inside and out, the hydrometer on the digital is diff than on the one I use inside incubator. But that is why I want to dry hatch, the inner hydrometer is more accurate (moister).

On hand turning, I am going to turn only 3x a day first 7 days, then turn 5x a day till day 18. The eggs after day 7 like the extra oxygen.

Here is something else to consider. Shipped eggs. Yes, they are risky. Here is my thought. If you are going to try and hatch shipped eggs, they are precious, and pricey. Try and hatch just those eggs in an incubator. Don't, "Oh-hey I have these shipped eggs and I will just throw in a few more, or add more after they already started..tee-hee!" Know why? Well for one look at a momma hen sitting on 40 eggs, "Oh it is so cute!" But eggs that don't hatch are not cute. If you have a doz shipped eggs you have to hand turn and candle, that is not a bad number and you can candle quick. That doz and more, your shipped eggs will not get the attention they need and deserve.

Just my thoughts. Maybe I am telling myself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom