Farm Innovators 4250 Temp and Humidity Experiment

I was thinking it could dehumidify it more (more air circulating = drier air) Might actually be something that I should do, I live in an area that is constantly high in humidity. Noon here now, and 66% relative humidity.
We can test that too! This is the current humidity without the fan:
current humidity without fan_1.png

What are you hoping to achieve with your experiment? From a scientific standpoint you only want to change one variable at a time.

Personal I'd track this hatch as is. Otherwise you really can't understand the impact of another fan.
The last time I loaded it with eggs none hatched, so I have been using it as a hatcher for eggs I find abandoned in the yard. If I can find a way to get the temp in all parts of the incubator about the same I will load it up with peafowl eggs.

The last time I loaded it with eggs none hatched, so I have been using it as a hatcher for eggs I find abandoned in the yard. If I can find a way to get the temp in all parts of the incubator I will load it up with peafowl eggs.

I see. I'm not sure what happen with that hatch. What a heartbreak.

For me it's been a solid little unit. My hatch rates have increased significantly as I've learned more about hatching and tweak variables one at a time for my incubator and my hatching environment (high desert, Marans eggs). I think I've had it about 2 years. Probably 10+ hatches with it to date. I've got this happening today. So there is plenty of hope for your Guinea fowl as you dial in what works for you! This experiment is a step in the right direction. IMG_20190627_100958283.jpg IMG_20190627_101005225.jpg

I have the same bator. It worked just fine for 2 years, then I have been getting spikes everytime I have set eggs, spiked to 105°F the last time i set, and set some 2 weeks ago and got a spike of 110°F, I lost all the eggs.
I think maybe the humidity has corroded the electrical connections on the control board or somehow is affecting the sensor's to read incorrectly and the controller is compensating for the differences in the real temp vs. what feedback it's getting from the sensors?
I had 4 mercury thermometers in the bator and all 4 were reading the same temp, 110°F. Their antique incubator thermometers and are extremely accurate.
antique mercury thermometers.jpg

Here's some pics showing the temp, humidity and you can see the mercury thermometer in the bator at the top of the pic.
100_4232.JPG

100_4235.JPG

Digital read out
100_4237.JPG

Accurite temp/humidity

I also use a wet bulb on my cabinet incubators, yep, their antique too! but highly accurate! ;)
incubator hygrometer.jpg

Following this to see your results.

I was thinking it could dehumidify it more (more air circulating = drier air) Might actually be something that I should do, I live in an area that is constantly high in humidity. Noon here now, and 66% relative humidity.
More circulation will result in greater evaporation rate, not acting like a dehumidifier but with less surface area due to drying up the available water....you'll be adding more water often to compensate for the rate of evaporation to keep the humidity stable.

I am about to incubate with this unit for the first time. A friend of mine had been doing it prior and we got 75% hatch rate. She was dry hatching and I want to follow the instructions to see if we can increase our hatch rate. Which method do you advise and should I place the eggs closest to the fan or further away?

Back
Top Bottom