Farm innovators model 4200 incubator

confusedturtle

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Virginia
Ok so I bought this last week and immediately took out the instructions to read them and make sure I knew what I was doing. I left the instruction manual on the couch and went to get dinner going and now it's gone. I have 4 kids and I'm not sure if someone accidentally put it away, threw it away or if my 13 month old got ahold of it but its gone. So I need to know exactly what I need to do to get this incubator up and running. I have eggs coming that will need to be put in it soon and no clue how use it. I want to make sure I do everything right and give my chickies the best shot at hatching that I can. I'm googling the instruction manual now but thought I'd ask the pros first.
ETA it has the automatic turner, & candler

Last edited:

bugglesmommy

Songster
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
Leesville, Louisiana
My Coop
My Coop
Do you have any thermometers besides what came with? You often cannot trust the built in or included ones.

You will want to get it plugged in an area without a lot of drafts or temp changes. Then using several thermometers to calibrate the temp., get it consistently around 99.5. There are several opinions on humidity so I would look up some wet vs. dry incubation to decide how you want to keep your humidity. One its consistent and where you want it for a few days, add your eggs large end up. After that, you mostly just make sure your temp stays steady and correct and add water as needed/ desired. You can occasionally candle and should see clear development after 7 days. On day 18 remove the Turner, lay them down and up the humidity. Do not open the incubator for the rest of the hatch. This is called lockdown.

confusedturtle

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Virginia
I don't have any other thermometers than what it came with. I need to head to Walmart later anyways so I will pick up a couple more thermometers & calibrate the ones it came with and use them as well. I'm pretty sure I have a good place for the incubator to be set up, I had to make sure it was also baby & dog proof lol. Thank you for the info, I will pick up the thermometers & get it warming up.

cressrb

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I am incubating eggs for the first time and bought the FI 4200 incubator. After reading negative comments about the inaccuracy of this incubator, I panicked and bought a Brinsea min advanced and thought I would start with just 7 eggs. I ended up with more eggs I
wanted to incubate, so instead of selling the brand new Farm Innovator, I decided to use it. The instructions are not that great anyway,
but you can get the same info off their website. I started the Brinsea and the F.I. the same night. I put the F. I. in an unused guest
bathroom. I have to say, it is running neck and neck with the Brinsea. No variation in humidity and temps. I am pleasantly surprised.
I will let you knw what happens in 12 days! I am having difficulty candling dark Maran eggs. Not sure what to do about that.
I have seven Barnevelder eggs in the Brinsea and they are also hard to candle. I am using the candler that came with the Farm Innovator.
Maybe it isn't a good one. This is my first time doing anything like this. I am so excited!

confusedturtle

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Virginia
Here are the thermometers & hygrometers I bought. On the road so I will read the posts when I get to my kids school

confusedturtle

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Virginia
Of the three thermometers, two measure between 72.5-73*f and my home thermostat measures in at 68*. The incubators current temp is measuring 75* so I'm going to calibrate it to the average of the 3. I realize the fish tank "sticker" type thermometer is probably the least accurate so I'm not really taking it into consideration, it is sitting at 69* which is much closer to my home thermostat.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom