Farm Marketing and Profits from a Natural perspective

Stony, are those even chickens?

I was and will continue to consider Heritage Buckeyes, as I live in Ohio and have a dog named Brutus.
silkies. Nope, aliens. Not chickens.
lau.gif

So far I'mhappy with my choices of Sumatra's and Runners. Doing well for me this year. Now that I'm taking this more serious

silkies. Nope, aliens. Not chickens.
lau.gif

So far I'mhappy with my choices of Sumatra's and Runners. Doing well for me this year. Now that I'm taking this more serious
I do agree not chickens. They are a species all their own.

They sure do sell like hot cakes though ;) $20 a rooster no problem. $25-40 a pullet.

Darn right.

Wish my heritage birds created that kind of demand. I still prefer barred plymouth rocks to any other chicken breed though. Going to start back with only the best stock. I have some nice ones coming from Nova Scotia.

To get the kind of money for hatching eggs we are talking about, you need to make a name for yourself. If you have the best birds in the world, and no one knows who you are - you are not going to make it.

ETA: Thought I would add that the silkie fad will not end any time soon. Their popularity has remained unchanged since 2003. They are one of the most common chicken breeds alien species believe it or not. However, to find them in the quality that sells for the big bucks is tough. A friend of mine sells his breeding hens for $100 a piece with no issue moving them - actually he has a waiting list..

Last edited:
I do agree not chickens. They are a species all their own.

They sure do sell like hot cakes though ;) $20 a rooster no problem. $25-40 a pullet.

Darn right.

Wish my heritage birds created that kind of demand. I still prefer barred plymouth rocks to any other chicken breed though. Going to start back with only the best stock. I have some nice ones coming from Nova Scotia.

To get the kind of money for hatching eggs we are talking about, you need to make a name for yourself. If you have the best birds in the world, and no one knows who you are - you are not going to make it.

ETA: Thought I would add that the silkie fad will not end any time soon. Their popularity has remained unchanged since 2003. They are one of the most common chicken breeds alien species believe it or not. However, to find them in the quality that sells for the big bucks is tough. A friend of mine sells his breeding hens for $100 a piece with no issue moving them - actually he has a waiting list..
when I sell a Sumatra pullet I get $25 minimum. Unless you are new to Sumatra's you already have a rooster and they are a tougher sell.

My thoughts are this. When the poop hits the fan and the economy goes bye bye, Silkies will be done. They are cute and cuddly and a good selling bird. But not really for the table or for the eggs. More as a hobby and yes a business....for now. Just my .02...ok .005 in this economy
hmm.png

Everyone has their reference as to what works for them. I think the thing is to have a really good strain of something not only interesting but a good all around bird. Takes years to get a flock like that.

when I sell a Sumatra pullet I get $25 minimum. Unless you are new to Sumatra's you already have a rooster and they are a tougher sell.

My thoughts are this. When the poop hits the fan and the economy goes bye bye, Silkies will be done. They are cute and cuddly and a good selling bird. But not really for the table or for the eggs. More as a hobby and yes a business....for now. Just my .02...ok .005 in this economy
hmm.png

Everyone has their reference as to what works for them. I think the thing is to have a really good strain of something not only interesting but a good all around bird. Takes years to get a flock like that.
You're right that they are not for the table. I wouldn't eat one. I couldn't. Unless they weren't black skinned that is.

Oh and my silkies aren't cuddly. My barred rocks are much friendlier.

For fun.. Here is the strain I am getting. The man was very nice and is giving us a trio for free. I'm buying another trio for backup. You need at least one extra rooster. If you have just one you are asking for trouble.
Hopefully from these two trios I can get a good start on rebuilding my flock.

I have some Heritage RIRs hatching this Friday as well. Runners this Sunday... though my egg turner was broken and I noticed halfway through the incubation.. hope the duck eggs are okay. :S

Let's say someone was going to get into the breeding game. How do you go about it? You can't free range as your parent stock is much too valuable. So do you just have the old run, collect eggs and incubate? Do you have several in different cages that you put together when you play genetic God? How do you do it? A few pics would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

P.S. What do you mean in this economy? If it has lasted in "this economy" maybe it is sustainable.......

You're right that they are not for the table. I wouldn't eat one. I couldn't. Unless they weren't black skinned that is.

Oh and my silkies aren't cuddly. My barred rocks are much friendlier.

For fun.. Here is the strain I am getting. The man was very nice and is giving us a trio for free. I'm buying another trio for backup. You need at least one extra rooster. If you have just one you are asking for trouble.
Hopefully from these two trios I can get a good start on rebuilding my flock.

I have some Heritage RIRs hatching this Friday as well. Runners this Sunday... though my egg turner was broken and I noticed halfway through the incubation.. hope the duck eggs are okay. :S

Gorgeous bird.... til another devil dog gets dropped.....

Let's say someone was going to get into the breeding game. How do you go about it? You can't free range as your parent stock is much too valuable. So do you just have the old run, collect eggs and incubate? Do you have several in different cages that you put together when you play genetic God? How do you do it? A few pics would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

P.S. What do you mean in this economy? If it has lasted in "this economy" maybe it is sustainable.......
Breeding season here is snow season. My birds never liked going out far in the snow. The time the snow is gone, it's time they free range again.

As for devil dogs. Not sure what to say to that. I know you have had terrible luck. I did have a LGD, but now I have a young pup again. Hopefully he will help me out when he is old enough and trained enough.

SO far he is showing much better signs than even Clementine did at that age. She was mouthing them right away. It had to be trained out. This one gives them a wide girth and is only interested in the 'treats' they leave behind.

But he's only 11 weeks.

Just before this picture was taken he humped the bunny and was reprimanded from our poodle for doing such a terrible thing
lol.png

I think once Henry is grown (into an impressive 120 pounds of pooch) he will do a good amount of protecting. And by protecting I mean preventing. I don't expect him to go looking for predators like Clementine used to. These dogs do not wander like the Great Pyrs, and have been used as general farm dogs and protectors for centuries. Here's hoping I got a good one.

We plan to have reinforcement in terms of electric fencing around our entire property. Fencing will be for our goats and the dogs and to keep other predators out. I really could care less if the poultry went beyond it. My neighbours loved the chickens visiting them, but I would rather them not get into our vegetable garden or on the busy road that has claimed 3 of our cats last year.

Once we get our breeding pens finished I will provide pictures. Hoping to have covered runs so the breeding birds can get outside in the winter, because they would not venture far.

Back
Top Bottom