Farm Store this week - hand pick or prebox?

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
Interested in opinions from the group!!
Don't want to fumble this ball 5 yards to the end zone.

Our farm store gets literally 1200 chicks in each week right now, over 40 varieties plus ducks etc. Nice people - who dont know everything as I have figured out.

I gave a list of breeds we were planning on picking up this Friday and next Friday about a month ago. 10 or 12 this week, 10 to 12 the following week.

They want to pre pick them and they keep them in a diff barn until we pick up. They never really told me that was the process when she asked for "an idea" of what we wanted to jot it down on the phone. I saw them active pick a box with a family while I was there. Not rocket science people. No big deal - I'm just abit taken aback.

I highly doubt they will "run out" before we get there of any of these. There are 30-40 of every kind maybe more. These are in the open retail floor, not hidden away.

We are only getting 22 total. 2 or 3 of each breed we wanted. If they did run out we could just get that missing breed the following week.

My girl who will be the farm hand here wanted to pick her own chicks. At least of her fav 3 or 4 breeds. Or at least be there when selected. She has photos up of every chick from which breed we are getting etc. She knows them better than I do.

I will be hand picking the EE and PBB. He said that was fine.

What would you do?? Hand select all? Just hand pick the EE and PBB and let her pick hers out? I am just being weird here? (It's ok -- you can tell me).

Breed List:

Girls Fav - Lav Orp, Buff Orp, Light Brahma - ok not huge color specific issues here I know that

Others: Faverolles, SGE, EE, PBB, Buttercup, Midnight Marans, and BLRW

TIA, I'm trying not to overthink it.
First flock jitters. :wee:wee

Last edited:
The feed store we go to is staffed by farm people. And by young people that have farming experience or schooling. We tell them what we want and they come back with a box. They open it and say, see these two, they are marans... Here is how you tell... They would not stick us with the runt of the litter. Good luck.

I would try to hand pick. Even then I have gotten weaklings lol. They probably asked for an idea so they could make sure they ordered enough for you and to sell on the floor. Its possible they're expecting a rush because of egg prices. People have been known to panic buy chickens...

I would try to hand pick. Even then I have gotten weaklings lol. They probably asked for an idea so they could make sure they ordered enough for you and to sell on the floor. Its possible they're expecting a rush because of egg prices. People have been known to panic buy chickens...
Thanks, yes I was thinking this too.

Back
Top Bottom