Farmer selling wrong chicks...what would you do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JesikaD01, Oct 16, 2012.

1. JesikaD01

JesikaD01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2012
    Atlanta
    I purchased out chicks back in May. They were all supposed to be pure breed and 90% sure they were hens. well of the 12 we purchased only 5 are hens, the show quality silkie is not even a silkie and the barred rocks are mutts.

This is one of the top private sellers in our area (he is a farmer selling out of his backyard)

What would you do? I have tried contacting him with little to no response

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I would not buy from him again. There is not much you can do with chickens unfortunately :/

Also - never trust someone who tells you the chick is show quality. That's a red flag right there. You can not tell quality until they are fully grown.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I agree with Aoxa, unfortunately you have little recourse at this time - except walking away from any future purchases

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That's really unfortunate, since you've already attempted a contact, i don't think their is much that can be done. At least next time you will be armed with more knowledge, it's terrible when folks take advantage.

5. Fur & Feathers

Fur & Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire
    My Coop
    woud personaly learn from it and move on.

have had a similar sort of situation with the first flock of mine though there wasnt any payment and am still glad to have the little buggers and woudnt give them back for anything.:D
    the lad had got the hatching eggs off for free [because knew him and used to walk his dog] bred marans and light sussex mainly.
    he didnt say they were inbreeding though,was only told that after they were born with complications.
    lorna turned out to have a crippled toe and is a bit mentaly impaired,and kanner;the cuckoo maran was born far to small and he developed serious intestinal shedding through cocciodosis either during incubation or just after hatching,he was lucky to be here but he is now the biggest cock,he is also very agressive and has been since he was a nipper [excuse the pun, nipper also means slang for child here] and he badly molests the poor hens but gets on well with the other cock tito,have had a feeling the inbreeding is the cause of his agresion.

woud say to count this as experience,at least have got a fair idea of some signs to avoid now,and can also warn other people of what he is doing though watch out for getting threatened with slander which guilty people usualy do when they havent got any other defense.
    if he is on any chicken purebred breeder websites; contact them to make sure he gets taken off the lists.

is getting a lawyer an interest? they coud write a letter which woud likely get a better response out of them but it obviously woud mean spending more money which coud be put towards those chickies or some more chickens perhaps.

6. WingnutCrazy

WingnutCrazy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2012
    Georgia
    I would probably research what baby chicks of each breed look like before buying. However, although silkies are cool, any type of chicken can make a great pet if trained well. Yes, I said TRAINED. It's not hard, just slowly introduce a chicken to a new environment when they are still young (up to 32 weeks old). All chickens, like people, have very different and developed personalities, so some are harder to train than others!

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You could file with your local small claims court but you'd only get back what you paid him and you'd be investing more $ and time to get that. So, unless they were some very expensive chicks, it's not worth the trouble. I'd chalk it up as a lesson learned and buy elsewhere in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by