Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Pics
The words 'hype' and now 'ploy' imply dishonesty or deception,
"Hype" and "ploy" are derogatory in their meaning. Hype also denotes that what is being said about something is inflated or not true. What about Buckeyes that has been said is not true?

Of course, there are lots of deserving breeds,and I wish I could have them all. I wish I could be a Sandhill of sorts. This is not possible. The Buckeye breed is just as old as the RIR and older than the NH. A lot of other breeds have enjoyed decades and decades of popularity and IMHO, over those decades, the lowly Buckeye deserved more and did not have it then. It is great that a breed, like the Buckeye, has come out of virtual obscurity to become popular and viable -- what is wrong with that? I wish all the breeds could do this.

Actually,the Buckeye is the perfect breed to discuss in this thread. It is a hardy, friendly, dual purpose fowl that forages well and does well on a farm. It thrives in both extreme cold and high heat. They are easy to keep which is what the majority of homesteaders want. They do well confined or free ranged. The hens make great broodies. I have a Buckeye sitting on La Fleche eggs right now. Buckeyes breed consistently, and the characteristics seem to hold true for the breed no matter where you get your start.

For someone looking to have meat on the table from their first generation of a breed, this is the one of the breeds to strongly consider. There are a number breeders, including myself, who have achieved consistency of meat and egg production in a short amount of time. The breed works for me. I have remarkable consistency with what is going on the table.

When I got my first Buckeyes, I had never seen another one so I was not picking it for any other reason than I believed it would make a great farm / homestead fowl. It was a couple of years before I saw a Buckeye other than my own. Unknown to me at that time was the ALBC had the same idea at around the same time (which turned out to be great for me). Don Schrider tried some of the other breeds in the American class but he was most impressed with the active and friendly nature of the Buckeye. In addition, he had success at breeding a good fowl for the table.

If you have read Harvey Ussery's book, The Small Scale Poultry Flock, AND you are a breeder of Buckeye, then you know that the book seems to have been written for the Buckeye. In other words, the Buckeye fulfills the role described in the book for a homestead fowl. There are other breeds i am sure that fill the role just as well. If your purpose is showing, then correct, the Buckeye is not your breed as it is not a show bird first; it is still a farm / homestead fowl first. A lot of the breeds have become show fowl first and their original purpose is simply secondary -- look at what is now called an "ornamental fowl" is some of the popular books.

My special project breed is the La Fleche and I have to say they lay lots of very large eggs -- seems they have been bred to lay lots of eggs. However, as a carcass, what I am feeling, well, they are scrawny by Buckeye standards and again, and I do want meat in the next years as I try to improve the La Fleche size. I am expecting it to be a different sort of meat and texture too giving me the best of both worlds -- the Buckeye has a lot of rich, dark meat and the breast is ample and very white but dark meat predominates. The taste of the Buckeye dark meat is very good -- & the Buckeye provides it amply. Also, there is no comparison, of course, between the flighty La Fleche and the Buckeyes. My Buckeyes run to me and follow me around like a bunch of puppies. The La Fleche body slam themselves against the pen when I near it -- that flightiness may be better for them against predators but I suspect not much different if a Goshawk wants it bad enough. One thing I have witnessed is my 9+ lb Buckeye Cock running toward and chasing away a diving hawk. Would the hawk have won? Probably, but my guess is that a very large rooster is just a little much when there are easier prey. The hawk turned.

Again, I see "Farm and Homesteading Heritage Poultry" as the topic, the Buckeye fits in the thread as good as it gets. No "hype" or "ploy" is needed.

Last edited:
Goes to show that with a little dedication and intestinal fortitude any breed that is in dire need of help can be revived back to a fuller stature, more deserving of the breed. I say and yes the Buckeye is a very good all around candidate for a farming homestead. I would like some but I got lots of others that are good too. I too am like Chris mentioned, I'd like to have some of most everything, just can't happen now, (maybe some day, maybe never)
smile.png

Jeff

Guys, I've not said that the Buckeye was a bad breed, and no matter how emotional we want to be about it, I still will not have said that the Buckeye is a bad breed. It was pointed out that it isn't my favorite breed, note that I actually did not point that out. I conceded the point because there's no sense in fibbing, but then I restated that my personal likes don't need to make something not someone else's "Cat's meow", which is a pretty clear endorsement of "follow your heart".

Still, I did continue to discuss the idea. Hype, being an bit o' slang not in my classical dictionary, the Urban dictionary would disagree on its forcible negativity, stressing rather that it's excitement from flashy presentation. This is, indeed, what happened to the Buckeye, via the ALBC, after the breeding project, of which I am a tremendous fan. Their Buckeye project set a standard for what can be done with heritage poultry and clear directed breeding, all credit that I mentioned.

When I mentioned the RIR and the NH, it's because very few fowl in the world can make claim to the kind of intense and extensive old school farm breeding that brought them into being, and please note, I have neither, and am not going to (I don't think). It's just poutlry History. Buckeye history cannot hold a candle to them, which isn't to say that the Buckeyes aren't awesome and quite appropriae for this thread and for the homestead, but we can't have discussion if we can't talk out the facts. The RIR, the NH, the Danish Brown Leghorn, these breeds or, in the case of the latter, strains, were the product of huge collaboration, among many farms, over a respectable geographical area, with outstandingly demanding selection criteria, that produced some of the most popular and productive farm fowl that have ever existed such that they're renown is as old as they are, and their names have been in the forefront since their beginnings.

The Buckeye is a great homesteading fowl, like many other breeds. It's ahead of some; it's behind others. It would be hard to claim, though, that it's an amazing chicken in a broad sense. History tends to recogninze the amazing chickens as such. It's a darned good chicken, though, and that's good enough to make it personally amazing on anyone's homestead.

Last edited:
"Hype" and "ploy" are derogatory in their meaning.
For the record, I used the word "ploy" and you are casting this way out of context. It describes a tactic or manuever, nothing derogatory or demeaning with it. Like I said for the people that are passionate about the Buckeye breed..very cool, love them. I am sure they are a lovely homesteading type of fowl. They are making a strong presence in exhibition halls now as well.

Quote:
No offense taken here. I want to make the point that the RIR, NH, Brown Leghorn have always had lots and lots of breeders in all fifty states, and they & other breeds (such as Rocks) will always have lots and lots of breeders-- which is exactly why the Buckeye needs the few breeders it has ALWAYS promoting its good qualities.

The other point I would make & FWIW is that the ALBC recovery project overall involved hatching thousands of Buckeye chicks and heavy selection and culling. I know the ALBC male I obtained from Schrider in 2007 was the result of Don hatching about 1,200 Buckeyes that Spring. Of those, Don only considered keeping those in his top 10%. The male was one of two or three he had selected. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe 20-25 different breeders collaborated in the ALBC effort.

Isn't the same effort being made on behalf of the Java? I surely hope so.

All our Heritage breeds should be so lucky as to have devoted breeders advertising the merits of their chosen breed and encouraging new breeders to take up the challenge! That's why I like this thread and the Heritage thread as well as the new CSU thread.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom