Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Probably. Ed and Shawna Smith were the Cornish breeders I was thinking of and they might be out that way? They also do Jersey Giants. You could definitely make your own Cornish crosses for meat, you'd just have to use something quick growing to make up for Cornish being slow growing.

But yes Delawares sound great for what you're talking about. They were developed with a more meat type outlook. Might be hard to find ones that live up to that though. I know a couple people have recreated the Delaware lately with great success though. Just not local.

Delawares were known for rapid growth in the 1940's, compared to the heritage breeds that predated them. But they were replaced by the Cornish x by the 50's. They are not as fast growing as the modern meat hybrids.
Zanna in OR has some of Kathy's recreated Dels. Her own line is pretty good, too.
Perfect! Okay then, I will PM you both and I'll provide my email/phone? I'd love to make contact with a few of these guys. I would like to have a plan for starting with C/D's or C/JG's come next year. My Cornish contact is Scott Bunnell - I found him most circuitously... a hoot to correspond with, but would love to know what others might think of his birds... Maybe the Smith's know him or of him. Thanks everyone.

AletaG, I have some of Kathyinmos recreated Delawares but they are young yet.  Should have hatching eggs and/or chicks next Spring.  I can tell you that they look like little cornish cross, huge breasts on them!  they have been slower to mature than my line that I have been working with for 5 years but they are far superior!!!  They eat like cornish x as well but are super active.  DH and I or family head up or down the I-5 to Vancouver, BC a couple of times per year so we might be willing to meet somewhere if you decide on this breed and want to keep in touch. 

Ed and Shawna Smith I believe are in Mollalla, Oregon, nowhere close to Tillamook :)

Thanks for that. I get all confuzzled with Oregon geography.

Hopefully we'll see those Delawares at a few of the shows soon? I'd love to see some good ones in person rather than just in pictures and read about them.

Thanks for that. I get all confuzzled with Oregon geography.

Hopefully we'll see those Delawares at a few of the shows soon? I'd love to see some good ones in person rather than just in pictures and read about them.
Maybe at the Clark County Fairgrounds next fall. Showing white chickens, hmmm.................

In truth, proper RIRs are good for meat, too, just as much as any Buckeye or what have you. If I were choosing one of the American red birds, I'd grab a RC RIR without question.

On that note, to anyone in the North East. Warren Carlow has a strain of RC RIRs that need some serious spreading around. They are one of the secret large fowl gems of the North East. I'd wager they are among the best RC RIRs in existence.
Oooooo, that is tempting. Are these large fowl? I have seen some at shows and they have a pretty serious cushion (most of them) so I'd love to see some without that but rather displaying a nice flat back!

Oooooo, that is tempting. Are these large fowl? I have seen some at shows and they have a pretty serious cushion (most of them) so I'd love to see some without that but rather displaying a nice flat back!

Yep, his are pretty outstanding. He hasn't showed them in a few years. I remember the first time I saw them, the eyes popped.

Anyone else read about this? http://www.cornucopia.org/2013/07/fda-moving-to-control-poultry-in-outdoors/

Not cool, peeps. Got to keep an eye on the regulators. Also found out today that I need a MINIMUM flock size of 30 adult birds to get NPIP status in WA state. What is THAT all about?
'nite all.
OMG, I just had to butt in here when I saw this! It's the never-ending quest between the gov't & factory farmers to keep the small farmer down. It's so wrong! I'm surprised they haven't instituted the quota system, like here in Canada. The powers that be are feeling threatened by us? I think they may be worried that organic & free range products might just take off & become more popular. Heaven forbid if it gets out of their control! Gov'ts in north america have been coddling us all way too long! Enough of this B.S.!

OMG, I just had to butt in here when I saw this! It's the never-ending quest between the gov't & factory farmers to keep the small farmer down. It's so wrong! I'm surprised they haven't instituted the quota system, like here in Canada. The powers that be are feeling threatened by us? I think they may be worried that organic & free range products might just take off & become more popular. Heaven forbid if it gets out of their control! Gov'ts in north america have been coddling us all way too long! Enough of this B.S.!

Its not government so much much as corporate farms like monsantos..they try to run small farmers out..threaten them.. its along story..but they do tend to place their people in high positions of government using any sort of deception..through TV ..people are gullible too..believe every word of it ..hook line and sinker they belive anything that TV tells them so the deceived vote for the chosen polititians who work for huge corporate farms..they get huge kickbacks for their effots of deception....these corporations are greed on steroids..the government is their puppet..just today reports of a very strange stomach virus hitting the US..it is news this morning..as result of corporate farming, cheap labor , and poor disease control...strange pesticides ...someday people will wake up..some have already..farmers are hevily subsidized in some European countries should be here too..because most of those farms are small artisan cheese or sausage makers with much more flavor..it is very successful.

Gastrointestinal illness linked to contaminated fruit, vegetables spreading throughout North Texas

bd1b0d84e2061a71a292336914a233fb

102​

0​

0​

One day after Dallas County health officials said several residents have been seriously sickened by the foodborne illness cyclosporiasis, officials in Collin, Denton and Tarrant County added 21 more cases to North Texas’ total.
Dallas County also said Wednesday there was one more confirmed case. In the past 12 years, Dallas County had reported only a dozen cases of the rare parasite usually ingested in water or food contaminated with fecal matter.
Tarrant County Public Heath spokesperson Vanessa Joseph said there were 10 confirmed cases, with patients ranging from their teens to their 70s. The Denton County Health Department has confirmed five cases, while Collin County Health Care Services has confirmed six more. The ages of those 11 patients were not released.
Christine Mann of the Texas Department of State Health Services said there are 42 statewide cases, up from 37 reported yesterday.
According to The Mayo Clinic, symptoms include “watery diarrhea, frequent and sometimes explosive bowel movements, loss of appetite, weight loss, and bloating,” among a number of others.
Officials in Texas, as well as in Iowa and Nebraska, still don’t know the cause of the recent outbreak.
“It tends to be a tropical- or subtropical-related disease,” said chief epidemiologist for Collin County Dr. Peggy Witte, “so it could be coming in from fruit that was brought in from a tropical or subtropical region.”
Dallas County issued a release Wednesday that said North Texas’ cases “may possibly be related to an ongoing large multistate Cyclospora outbreak in Iowa and Nebraska.” Tarrant County’s Joseph said fruits and vegetables have been the likely cause in the past, and that they need to be washed and/or cooked before ingesting.
“Sometimes we all do something closer to a rinse,” Joseph said, “but we really need to wash.”

Back
Top Bottom