Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

I can attest to how fast maturing & meaty those Good Shepherd NH's are...and man 'o man are they vigorous and calm.
I hatched out a few dozen of the XW german (crossed onto Reese hens) this past year. You are correct...the males do indeed have substantial combs. Might be a challenge in real cold climates, unfortunately.
I think that may be temperature related Cindy my roosters will grow a bigger comb here than say up jn Mo. or northward this is their radiator the hotter the climate the more comb they grow hence I can see why yours would be some of the largest as its down right hot where you're at. My roosters are right at the age of your one you posted a while back ago and their combs now aren't even as large as his was then.

Jeff

Last edited:
I am starting a meat bird project and might consider this bird again if I can breed out the single combs.
That's what I am working on too. I started with Delawares (hatchery) and kept a few of the females and the only male that didn't get frostbite on his comb last winter. I have several on the ground from them. I also picked up some white wyandottes last year to cross with them to get the rose comb. I have a few promising individuals to choose from. I hope they don't lose too much of the Delaware flavor... they were quite yummy!

Quote:
hide.gif
Single combs don't seem to work here at my location due to river effects ( moisture) but I would like the meat qualities of his NH. Mixed with my other stock with out SC. All a plan at this point.

JOeseph I wonder as the butchering season has arrived if anyone would post a pic of what their birds look like dressed and include if possible live wt at harvest, wt of carcass, and if any one weighs deboned breast meat, or whole legs. I'm sure this is too much work and probably only hands on evals are conducted.

A friend is supposed to send me a black copper maran from her meat project. My marans are devoted egg layers and lack the muscling I was expecting. sigh. Hoping this new blood will help beef up my current stock.

This is simply solved. If we are talking about raising a flock of NHs for the purpose of production then just dub the combs and wattles. It's easy to do, fast and will allow you have your flock of NHs, breed for improvement and also furnish the table with meat/eggs.

I think that may be temperature related Cindy my roosters will grow a bigger comb here than say up jn Mo. or northward this is their radiator the hotter the climate the more comb they grow hence I can see why yours would be some of the largest as its down right hot where you're at. My roosters are right at the age of your one you posted a while back ago and their combs now aren't even as large as his was then.

Jeff

That makes sense for sure...I will have to check with Desertmarcy (Tucson) to see if she's experienced the same with her pure german strain. My rocks' combs seem average sized thus far.

This is simply solved. If we are talking about raising a flock of NHs for the purpose of production then just dub the combs and wattles. It's easy to do, fast and will allow you have your flock of NHs, breed for improvement and also furnish the table with meat/eggs.

Thanks for the suggestion-- hadnot thought of that. I would need someone to show me how to do it one I get over the tramatizing factor. Has taken a while to deal with butchering-- I still have to work up to it. NOt sure I am ready to dub. ANd certainly not on my own. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Back
Top Bottom