Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

I need to build a new coop and run---- Need to maximize use of sun for laying, yet proved shade during the hot spring month of april and july/aug/ On a northern slope, in a bushy field. Surrounded by trees. Thoughts?

I need to build a new coop and run---- Need to maximize use of sun for laying, yet proved shade during the hot spring month of april and july/aug/ On a northern slope, in a bushy field. Surrounded by trees. Thoughts?

We don't have any trees for shade so we use shade cloth on the tops and sides of the runs for most of the year. I can roll up the sides to let more sun into the runs during the winter. I put tarps on top of the runs during winter to help keep it drier. They will go out in freezing rain/sleet/snow in winter since they have the top shelter and plastic on the north/west sides of the run.

Thank you! I han'd even though of using shade cloth. Great idea.

Any one use roofing that lets in the light??
Yes, but we haven't been through a winter yet. The lady we got the coops from says it worked great. And we used shade cloth over our quarantine coop in the front yard this summer, 'cause that's the S side. Going to move it next Spring to a slightly more shaded location in the front yard, anyway. That spot is screaming for a hoop greenhouse.

The entire roof and the side facing the prevailing wind is covered with the plastic roofing stuff over wire. On the big coops in the back the enclosed run portions have sun-roof and the ends above the doors have the plastic sun roof stuff to let in light. I'm mulling over taking 4" PVC, cut in half lengthwise and using a doorknob drill attachment to make holes in them, then silicone in place some yard solar lights from the dollar tree. Would put it up over the plastic roofing in the run areas. Can extend the daylight for up to 4 hours, and it does get dark pretty early up here in the winter. They slowly 'fade to black' so that's nice. I do plan on letting them have at least a 2mo break mid-winter prior to breeding season.

Here in Scottsdale, AZ shade cloth has been a literal life saver for my birds...along with a misting system and sand bedding for coop/runs. I bought the kind that blocks about 95% of the heat rays...has been wonderful and durable!! I also use it on my hardware cloth roof of runs in summer.

I found shade cloth to be wanting here during the summer. So I use tarps instead. Keeps the area MUCH cooler than shade cloth.

If you're on a north slope, pay attention to the wind patterns. Ordinarily the south should be open and the north protected but since you're on a hill you might have a different pattern, i.e. cold rolling down the hill, etc. On flat land, you'd want the south and east open and the west and north protected as that's the way our winds work, south and east breezes in summer, north and west cold winds in the winter. But as I said, you're on a hill so that could be different for you.

Here in Scottsdale, AZ shade cloth has been a literal life saver for my birds...along with a misting system and sand bedding for coop/runs. I bought the kind that blocks about 95% of the heat rays...has been wonderful and durable!! I also use it on my hardware cloth roof of runs in summer.

Galanie..you are so right...I just did not mention that I, too, use a heavy tarp (silvery on exterior side/black interior side) on the coop/run roofs only...as I need to get airflow as much as possible through the coops and runs...not much breeze at all here on hottest days.

Galanie..you are so right...I just did not mention that I, too, use a heavy tarp (silvery on exterior side/black interior side) on the coop/run roofs only...as I need to get airflow as much as possible through the coops and runs...not much breeze at all here on hottest days.
Makes perfect sense! Yes, shade cloth on the wall is a great idea! On the top, I find it worse than useless really.

Looks like tarps might be more useful if I need to choose between tarps and shade cloth.

As for air movement-- Warm air flows up hill, enough to blow hay chaff in my face most days, and then down hill as the air cools. With a river at the bottom of the hill, some 1/4 mile away, the air is moist.

Looks like the opening needs to face either west, or east.

How to maximize the exposure to the sun for egg laying stimulation? Maybe the solar lighting can extend the evening hours. for ex. Depend on the morning light to start the day and use solar to negate the shade of the afternoon sun as trees will block the west sun . . . .

No wonder the commercial producers put the birds in a weather proff building . . . .EASIER!!! lol

We use the "plastic" white roof panels for the coops. The inside walls are about 1/8 inch thick, slick white tile board that comes in 4x8 ft panels. They have this board that actually has textured grout lines to make it look more like tile, but we just use the slick stuff for ease of cleaning - looks like the walls of a shower. The back of the panels are brown hard "paper" that can absorb moisture so I use silicone to seal the seams.

In the winter (and summer), the coops are light during the day from the sun, but the roof panels are opaque enough that with venting under the roof and some foam insulation in the walls, the coops are cooler than the outside temps.

Back
Top Bottom