Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Thanks. Also, if you don't mind, does separating the sexes also help the pullets. Seems like I have heard that there is an optimum way for pullets to enter their first laying period. And if there are too many cockerels around they will start to lay too early before they reach the preferred body weight, resulting in smaller eggs than normal, even for pullet eggs. Or, maybe the better way to phrase it is they start laying when they are suppose to, but because of all of the running around ( as you mentioned above) they are below weight. Just read NanaKat's post. I think we answered the question re: the pullets.

Thanks again,

mark
I haven't seen a consistent smaller egg size in the females that were left with males. Although I have seen more eggs with odd shapes indicating stress that came from the females that were left with the males. And have had some start laying a lot earlier when they were with males the whole time.

Had read about separating the genders but didn't think it would make that big of a size difference. Did it this time mostly to try to stop the cockerel fights. It was a big eye opener this time around to have such a size difference AND not have frequent fights between the males. Everyone is much calmer. It is definitely the way I want to keep going from now on. The difference has really been more noticeable than I thought it would be.

I liked to have my females alone until breeding season my females where always relaxed layed heavy and where content. The males where in 4x4 foot conditioning pens happy as can be and I would rotate them into pens on the ground in grass every two or three days to get grass for change of pace. Then when mating season came along say Dec I would put the males in the breeding pen with two or three females turn on the lights and start the ball rolling till April. Hopeful I could hatch out chicks as early as I could to get enough time to the chicks mature before the heat and humidly kicked up down here on the gulf coast.

There is no reason to have males in with females as soon as you can see they little guys have enlarged combs as chicks that when I separate them for years. Hope you have some nice females for eggs this year. Its a great resource regardless what is your favorite breed.

Here's a couple of photos comparing an Ancona cockerel with a Dorking cockerel. Both are approximately 6 to 7 months old. The Dorking is certainly the superior meat bird. Having said that, though, there's plenty to eat on an Ancona. What the breed one chooses is ultimately up to the each individual, but I hope this photo does a little to dismiss the notion that "egg breeds" aren't worth eating. They're really quite nice, and with selective breeding to fulfill standard-bred requirements, they put on size and become a respectable option for dinner. Nevertheless, obviously the Dorking makes the nicer centerpiece.

Here's a couple of photos comparing an Ancona cockerel with a Dorking cockerel. Both are approximately 6 to 7 months old. The Dorking is certainly the superior meat bird. Having said that, though, there's plenty to eat on an Ancona. What the breed one chooses is ultimately up to the each individual, but I hope this photo does a little to dismiss the notion that "egg breeds" aren't worth eating. They're really quite nice, and with selective breeding to fulfill standard-bred requirements, they put on size and become a respectable option for dinner. Nevertheless, obviously the Dorking makes the nicer centerpiece.

I love these photos. Thanks. Good to know that standard bred makes a difference. Even though the Ancona has a smaller breast, the carcas overall is proportional and attactive to the eye. The carcasses I got from hatcheries birds, last year, were lanky and thoroughly unattractive. I got some Kraienkoppe this year to use as broodies and when I culled the cockerels, even though they were small, the carcasses were decent looking.

Just found this thread. So excited to read everything-although it will take me a few days. I have 3 different breeds here but my Orpingtons will be the only ones I am breeding-at least that's the plan for now. I never heard of separating the Roosters unless they are show birds. I will have to check into it since I do have a cockerel-or 2 or 3-not sure yet.

Yup, most birds that are truly bred to their standard, emphasizing bone and muscle to form the bedrock of shape, are worth of the table.

After last years experience I did not know what I would have to do to put a decent chicken on the table. It's a relief, to know that it is not going to be as dificult as I once thought. The heritage threads are a true resource that I greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Mark

Back
Top Bottom