Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

You just cannot make generalizations regarding "breeds", you must speak of specific strains with which you are familiar, have seen, have raised and perhaps have even shown. Some strains of White Rocks lay very well for a heavy, pretty decent meat bird. Other strains are tiny and not bred to the Standard and are merely Leghorns blooded commerical layers posing as White Rocks. White can cover just about anything. They will lay you up a storm of eggs. It is all what the strain has been bred to do.

All that said, there are indeed lines and strains that utility has NOT been a priority, showing has been the focus for many generations. It is a buyer beware world, caveat emptor. Know the strain of birds you're buying and know what your plans are for them.

Breeds are not species, of course, so since breeds are man-made, strains within breeds are even more so. Humans doing art and science projects. That's pretty much what breeding is.
Strains are within varieties, not within breeds (varieties are within breeds). Lines are within strains. Granted, there are not that many true lines or strains in poultry now, although people still refer to such. Most people starting out cross strains, so they don't have a particular strain at that point, although most like to refer to a particular strain they started with for marketing purposes.

... although most like to refer to a particular strain they started with for marketing purposes.

I did get a bit sloppy in working through the whole breed, variety, strain, line continuum. apologies.

But, You got that marketing part right!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Other than the fact that I just LOVE everything about the Whites, I would have probably gravitated towards the easiest to develop anyway, here in my old age. I don't have much time left to me to reshape a breed that's too far out of whack.
gig.gif

I wish more folks recognized their overall worth too, but time after time I've heard that people~even the pet folks~don't want a "plain white chicken". When I explain their are white chickens and then there are WHITE ROCKS, they just can't seem to wrap their minds around the incredible difference they hold. Everything about them is just BETTER. They look the same size at the Buff Orpingtons, but when you lift them both together you suddenly realize one is comprised of fluffy, coarse and loose feathering and feels just like any other average DP bird....and the White Rock feels like lifting a lead weight in comparison.

Not only that, but they have a deeper, more silky feather layer than do the BOs~or any other breed, for that matter~ while not appearing to have more feathering at all. That is due to the incredibly fine and silky nature of the feathers they wear....they are so fine that they hug the body more closely and lay into the bird like good chain mail that feels like the finest silk. The other bird will just feel like a chicken....like most other chickens out there, soft as a feather... but lacking that incredible coolness and lightness of loft of high quality silk that the WR bird has. Their feathers could truly be used much like duck or goose feathers for filling comforters and pillows. I've never once seen a WR hen, with their usual feather quality, have the slightest show of being bred...not a single broken feather on their backs, wings or back of the head. The only way I know one is consistently being bred is if I see it or she has dirt tracks on her back....and even then, they still remain the cleanest, whitest white bird I've ever known. Their feathers just seem to repel dirt!

Their bones are thicker than any other dual purpose breed....so much so that the hen's legs look like male bird's legs when placed beside the legs of another DP breed hen. The male WRs legs look like tree trunks compared to the typical DP male's legs...maybe a Cornish male might match it for thickness, but they wouldn't have the length.

The width and depth of the body and the fullness of the muscling is another difference...there's no plain white chicken out there that can match this bird for solid build, large breasts, wide hips all at the same time. None that I've ever seen.

Then comes the way they stand, walk, move at all....it's not just regal, but it's almost genteel and haughty at the same time. They seem to KNOW they are royalty, even the hatchery birds. They don't walk, they glide slowly along with necks arched proudly, heads up. The males don't walk, they do a slow strut, extending their legs to pause with one leg back in full stretch as if to pose for a picture each time they take a step. It's rather entertaining to note the differences between this breed and the others....the others are just chickens. These are clearly strolling calmly among the peasants, looking down their genteel noses at the scurrying about of the lesser breeds!
gig.gif

The only time these birds look awkward is when they run, then it's like NFL linebackers are running down the field....you can almost hear the ground shake as they thunder along.
lol.png
But, even for all of that, they are fast of foot, which makes them excellent out on range...young or old I've never lost a WR bird to a hawk, but I have lost young of the Barred variety. It's always the barred birds that get snatched, never the whites. Who knows...probably too heavy to even contemplate lifting one.

So, to make a long description long, these are anything but a "plain white chicken". One just has to experience the breed before they get to see and feel the real difference. To me they are chicken royalty, more so than I've ever seen in any other breed, and they seem to know it.

Last edited:
They look the same size at the Buff Orpingtons, but when you lift them both together you suddenly realize one is comprised of fluffy, coarse and loose feathering and feels just like any other average DP bird....and the White Rock feels like lifting a lead weight in comparison.

Not only that, but they have a deeper, more silky feather layer than do the BOs~or any other breed, for that matter~ while not appearing to have more feathering at all. That is due to the incredibly fine and silky nature of the feathers they wear....they are so fine that they hug the body more closely and lay into the bird like good chain mail that feels like the finest silk. The other bird will just feel like a chicken....like most other chickens out there, soft as a feather... but lacking that incredible coolness and lightness of loft of high quality silk that the WR bird has. Their feathers could truly be used much like duck or goose feathers for filling comforters and pillows. I've never once seen a WR hen, with their usual feather quality, have the slightest show of being bred...not a single broken feather on their backs, wings or back of the head. The only way I know one is consistently being bred is if I see it or she has dirt tracks on her back....and even then, they still remain the cleanest, whitest white bird I've ever known. Their feathers just seem to repel dirt!

Their bones are thicker than any other dual purpose breed....so much so that the hen's legs look like male bird's legs when placed beside the legs of another DP breed hen. The male WRs legs look like tree trunks compared to the typical DP male's legs...maybe a Cornish male might match it for thickness, but they wouldn't have the length.

The width and depth of the body and the fullness of the muscling is another difference...there's no plain white chicken out there that can match this bird for solid build, large breasts, wide hips all at the same time. None that I've ever seen.

Then comes the way they stand, walk, move at all....it's not just regal, but it's almost genteel and haughty at the same time. They seem to KNOW they are royalty, even the hatchery birds. They don't walk, they glide slowly along with necks arched proudly, heads up. The males don't walk, they do a slow strut, extending their legs to pause with one leg back in full stretch as if to pose for a picture each time they take a step. It's rather entertaining to note the differences between this breed and the others....the others are just chickens. These are clearly strolling calmly among the peasants, looking down their genteel noses at the scurrying about of the lesser breeds!
gig.gif

The only time these birds look awkward is when they run, then it's like NFL linebackers are running down the field....you can almost hear the ground shake as they thunder along.
lol.png
But, even for all of that, they are fast of foot, which makes them excellent out on range...young or old I've never lost a WR bird to a hawk, but I have lost young of the Barred variety. It's always the barred birds that get snatched, never the whites. Who knows...probably too heavy to even contemplate lifting one.

So, to make a long description long, these are anything but a "plain white chicken". One just has to experience the breed before they get to see and feel the real difference. To me they are chicken royalty, more so than I've ever seen in any other breed, and they seem to know it.
I am not sure how many Buff Orpingtons you have seen, or what their breeding was, but not all Buff Orpingtons are the same (just as not all White Plymouth Rocks are the same). I agree that Buff Orpingtons are loose feathered, and White Plymouth Rocks are closer to a hard feathered breed (though not as much as say a Cornish or Malay), but some Buff Orpingtons are massive even under the feathers. I don't know of any Plymouth Rocks (white or otherwise) weighing 12-15 lbs. (not in the hands of a normal fancier anyway). Yes, I know that is above standard weight, but some Orpingtons (particularly Buff) can attain those weights. I have a fairly large Buff Orpington Cock (around 12 lbs., though he might be a little larger now), and it is interesting to see him next to the Plymouth Rock cockerels. Granted, it seems to take an excruciatingly long time for the Buff Orpingtons to fill out, but once they do, some really are massive, even aside from the feathers. I have a son from the aforementioned cock, and I thought he was a pullet for the longest time, until he began to fill out. He is still filling out, at around 9 months of age. As far as the thickness of legs, there are some Buff Orpingtons with thick legs, though they tend to be short in proportion to their bodies compared to a White Plymouth Rock.

As far as female White Plymouth Rocks not showing the effects of being bred by their feathering, I have seen many instances where they did have their feathers messed up by mating, but it was generally by an aggressive male.

Yes, history is sketchy on the beginning of the Rock.  The Barred was first.  There's still debate as to which foundation breeds were blended to produce the Barred Plymouth Rock, but Cochin, American Dominque, Black Java, etc were likely blended into the mix.  It is claimed that the Whites were sports out the early develpment programs, but who is to say?  That too is pretty cloudy historically.   

The Columbians, Buff, Silver Penciled, Partridge, etc are all radically different in their composite of different foundational makeup.

What makes a Rock a Rock?  It must conform to the agreed upon "standard" for the breed description which, with rather small touches, has remained relatively untouched for 150 years. Pretty good I'd say.  The TYPE makes a breed, not it's composition of foundational birds used no matter how diverse.  If you can put the gentics together so that the out come in silhouette is a Plymouth Rock, then it got accepted as a Rock.

Apart from a few foundational birds of landrace stock, all breeds are man-made mutts/mixes/blends that finally come to breed true to a descriptive standard.  The Plymouth Rock dates to the perioed following the Ware between the States.  Some breeds have only a few years of history and are still very much works in art projects in progress.

The composite nature of the many of the birds is still being tweaked and touched to bring the birds back in line with the Plymouth Rock breed standard.  Some of the varieites are in desperate shape, others just in poor shape while other varieites are widely held in pretty decent shape.  My personal feeling is that the Buff, Partridge and especially the Silver Penciled need the most work, by far.  It is very difficult to find good examples.  

The White Rock is in the best shape.  Just MY opinion.  ;)     I just wish the variety held more common appeal.  Sadly, it does not.  Most folks want pretty lawn art in fancy, smachy shades and colors.  Shrug.

When I read some of the history of the BR, it said that a Cochin was mated to a native "hawk" colored chicken. What is hawk colored? I assumed that it meant a barred/speckled type of pattern like the Dominique or was there some other bird already here that they were alluding to. I found it interesting that the importation of the Oriental Class seemed to spur/initiate the breeding that resulted in today's Americabn breeds.

White in most breeds are in the best shape. Less to select for. Easier. Simpler. You can win with white.

In my opinion, the breed in the best shape, the Leghorn, is also best in white. Many are.

Ronott1 This is the best I can do. I couldn't get any schedules synced to help me so I just plowed through myself,

My buddy IKE is starting to get much better around the birds.

Thanks Ron!

The Cornish look good and meaty.

Good of you to say Ron but the pics simply do not do them justice. They have a very long way to maturity but they are quite broad across the back and they have great temperament. I was (am) exhausted and didn't have the patience to wait for good shots.

Good of you to say Ron but the pics simply do not do them justice. They have a very long way to maturity but they are quite broad across the back and they have great temperament. I was (am) exhausted and didn't have the patience to wait for good shots.

Pictures of cornish do not do them justice. They have tight feathers so they just do not look as big as they are. I bet they weigh more at their age than most breeds with loose feathers.

Back
Top Bottom