Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

I know nothing about Malines chickens, but very glad this thread got a bump.

This thread is from the Golden Years of BYC. This thread and half a dozen other old ones should be required reading.

So much knowledge in these old threads that a mentor may not be needed. Many mentors put it down in black and white. Then disappeared because too many people were worried about new colors with no willingness to learn.

Not only did so few here want to learn, so many just didn't even care to try. I find it a shame that so many have left and have taken their priceless knowledge with them. We all lose. The old ones are dying off faster than we can know. Real stewards are needed to take their place.

Post #57 page 6, from Joseph in this thread is priceless. So much info in those few paragraphs.

If one were to rely on information from BYC, they should get a mentor. They should probably get a mentor before they read posts on BYC so they are better able to know fact from fiction, and aren't easily led astray. Those with knowledge have been driven away from BYC. They weren't wanted. They offended people who wanted to feel important, so they moved on. Now, one would be lucky to find someone knowledgeable to guide them, as those with knowledge have been burned already. Plus, no one really wants to know facts. Myths, legends, and made up information are much more entertaining.

I didn't know they weren't wanted and pushed away. That's sad, as it's hard to find really informative info online like these old threads hold.

Any idea where they've gone? It would be nice to get their advice from time to time outside of the Ohio Nationals once a year.

I didn't know they weren't wanted and pushed away. That's sad, as it's hard to find really informative info online like these old threads hold.

Any idea where they've gone? It would be nice to get their advice from time to time outside of the Ohio Nationals once a year.
Facebook, somewhat. Getting ahold of a phone number might also be possible if you're smooth enough at the nationals ;)

Facebook, somewhat. Getting ahold of a phone number might also be possible if you're smooth enough at the nationals ;)

Facebook is not much better, if at all,I than BYC. Knowledgeable people are driven away there also. I think at this point, the people with actual knowledge don't want to be bothered. That ship has sailed. At this point, people need to learn by trial and error, and would be best served not to listen to the "experts".

Facebook is not much better, if at all,I than BYC. Knowledgeable people are driven away there also. I think at this point, the people with actual knowledge don't want to be bothered. That ship has sailed. At this point, people need to learn by trial and error, and would be best served not to listen to the "experts".
I am not talking about public pages, but rather private pages for breed clubs or associations.

That is what I am talking about too. Just because someone claims to be an expert does not mean they are. That is a large part of why the pouktry fancy is in the shape it is in.
"Experts" is merely a catch-all word for those that can educate a larger part of the general public, and I believe those I talk with are experts—their show records prove their methods. They are not claiming any mastery themselves. I have a poor opinion of those that think they are some special gift to the world or that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

"Experts" is merely a catch-all word for those that can educate a larger part of the general public, and I believe those I talk with are experts—their show records prove their methods. They are not claiming any mastery themselves. I have a poor opinion of those that think they are some special gift to the world or that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Since you did not understand, I said "experts" in sarcasm. They know very little, and want anyone who does know anything out of the way so that they can impress people. Show records don't show much. I can show you newbies and novices with great show records. You are one that has pushed knowledgeable people away from these forums. Congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom