Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Pics
Better get the stag before he crows: 16 weeks. If not that meat is going to be as tough as shoe-leather.

Rule of thumb: If they can breed (stags) then Pressure cooker is the only option.

Of course, as you know Yellow, the original (British/American) market cross was the offspring of a

Gamecock over a Dorking hen.

Have you tried that one Yellow?

Not yet, but I have given it thought. If I can find a strain of Spangled OEG's, I'll be forced to.....
big_smile.png

OK, the OEG husbandry issue....

I just "get" Dorkings--their rhythm, their flow, what to expect. We have the various breedings. I hatch, toe punch , wing band. We have large 3-season growing pens where they go after the brooding period. When seable, pullets are separated form cockerels, and the rest is easy sailing. Dorkings, being, Dorkings, don't have too many behavioral concerns, barring a tendency to pick between 10 to 12 weeks old, if they don't have access to free-range.

What about OEGs? What's the rhythm?

Let's say I want to maintain 4 pair of Spangled. Can I reliably use natural incubation to hatch enough chicks to be able to select new breeders? I know you have Spangled experience with Aseels.

What are the points that you would look for in 16 week cockerels in order to feel confident in culling at that age? Questions of type? Questions of coloring?

THose that make the cut, what sort of management system is necessary to grow out the cockerels for final selection? I'm not sure I'm up to individual tethering. It's the time constraint, the extra water chores, etc.... Is there an alternative?

Sorry about the Q's, but this is something I've been, I guess obviously, trying to figure out. They're just so darn cool and heritage-drenched, I just want to feel confident before adding something substantial to the goings-on around the place.

In my little experience, stags can be kept together somewhat longer if there is an old cock with them to keep them in line. I had a dog that would break up scuffles until they got more serious.

Quote:
I've thought this might help insofar as it tends to be the case in general. Where I struggle is trying to envision the set up. Obviously you want as many cockerels to choose from as possible, and the older they are the more you can be sure of what you're looking at.

I imagine it's about learning those thing for which one must look, but what are they going to be, and when do we have to draw the line?

Quote:
Great, now you have me looking at Game fowl..... my wife is gonna kill me!!
wink.png

Their history is very interesting, and I agree with Saladin... I bet that those involved felt anything that wasn't a Game fowl, was a Dunghill. The Etymology of the two is very interesting.

Thave you read the Chicken Book?

I haven't yet, its on my list. Right now I am reading Creatures of Empire.

Quote:
I've thought this might help insofar as it tends to be the case in general. Where I struggle is trying to envision the set up. Obviously you want as many cockerels to choose from as possible, and the older they are the more you can be sure of what you're looking at.

I imagine it's about learning those thing for which one must look, but what are they going to be, and when do we have to draw the line?

By far the nicest and most professional looking outfit I've ever seen was run by a veternarian in Alabama. The time I visited he must have had upwards of 200 cocks on string walks. They were in a large fenced yard, all his teepees were exactly the same, simple wooden construction as I recall. The fence was not designed much to keep anything out, it was intended to keep his dog in. The dog lived with the chickens 24 hours a day.

It is much easier to tend to them on tethers than in pens since you don't have to go in and out of the pens to feed and water.

Quote:
Now that is interesting.

I've been getting a more than a little worried lately because DH is complaining about the crowing here and I only have 4 cockerels at the moment. If I'm going to grow out Dorkings to 24 -25 weeks there will be a LOT more crowing.
hmm.png
I don't mind at all but he sure does.

I had a game bantam hen years ago and she was the smartest little thing, flew like a bird (haha I know) and was a great forager. I really liked her but never did find out what breed she was when I had her. Sadly when I moved a friend was minding them till I set up a coop at the new house and she let them free range. The hen disappeared over the fence never to be seen again.
sad.png

I hadn't thought much about raising them as meat. I had been told the males fight terribly so I'd always thought that would be an issue for me as I can't house them all individually but if your going to eat them before they crow that would mean they wouldn't be fighting either, right? Shaping up and a little sparing doesn't bother me, I just don't want to deal with them trying to kill each other.

I love the look of OEG and similar games, I'm a sucker for pretty colors and a flashy tail. The great mothering ability is a huge draw card too and if they are as smart as my little hen they should be able to keep away from the hawks.

Something to think about for sure since DH just said "I hope these things your growing out to eat aren't going to be crowing!"
roll.png

Might be looking at a smaller table bird than I thought. Any idea of dressed weight?

Quote:
String walks? Obviously I need to investigate games more. I assume that is what you call the tethers I've seen in pics?

DH has been talking about night boxing my boys lately because of the crowing.
roll.png
Having them tethered would sure make catching them easier... Something to ponder.

This is an excellent you tube video I just discovered by chance, which shows a fantastic concentration on one breed: La Fleche. It's a beautiful and inspiring video.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom