Farm's Directions

MyNameIs86

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
New Jersey
So i realized the farm I get my eggs has directions on how to incubate eggs... here's what they wrote

• Plug incubator and egg turner in. Raise temperature to 99-100 degrees F.
  • Let incubator run for 2-3 hours before eggs are put into incubator base; this stabilizes temperature.
  • Place eggs on turner in incubator with POINTY SIDE DOWN.
  • Place thermometer on top of eggs.
  • Check water levels every day; use warm water.
  • Check temperature daily.
  • On 3rd day of incubation, uncover the first hole
  • On 18th day of incubatin, uncover the second hole
  • On 18th day, remove the egg turner.
  • Place eggs on screen with thermometer on top of them.
  • Leave chicks on wire in incubator until they dry off (8-12 hours)
  • Remove chicks from incubator and place in box (90 degrees) along with food and water.
  • Turner moves slowly (several times per day) do not force the motor to make the turner move faster.
  • Have fun and watch your chicks grow!
I am just confused about the bolded stuff above. They have hovabators same as mine (1602n) and it threw me for a loop. I didn't do the bolded instructions and had 50% hatch rate. It would have been more if the eggs weren't cracked. I'm supposed to get more eggs on Tuesday

So i realized the farm I get my eggs has directions on how to incubate eggs... here's what they wrote

• Plug incubator and egg turner in. Raise temperature to 99-100 degrees F.
  • Let incubator run for 2-3 hours before eggs are put into incubator base; this stabilizes temperature.
  • Place eggs on turner in incubator with POINTY SIDE DOWN.
  • Place thermometer on top of eggs.
  • Check water levels every day; use warm water.
  • Check temperature daily.
  • On 3rd day of incubation, uncover the first hole
  • On 18th day of incubatin, uncover the second hole
  • On 18th day, remove the egg turner.
  • Place eggs on screen with thermometer on top of them.
  • Leave chicks on wire in incubator until they dry off (8-12 hours)
  • Remove chicks from incubator and place in box (90 degrees) along with food and water.
  • Turner moves slowly (several times per day) do not force the motor to make the turner move faster.
  • Have fun and watch your chicks grow!
I am just confused about the bolded stuff above. They have hovabators same as mine (1602n) and it threw me for a loop. I didn't do the bolded instructions and had 50% hatch rate. It would have been more if the eggs weren't cracked. I'm supposed to get more eggs on Tuesday
Removing the plugs just increases air flow. For lockdown, you definitely want as much air flow as possible for the hatching chicks. I can't say that it would or wouldn't have improved your hatch rates, but if you can maintain 65% humidity with both holes open, those are the optimal conditions for hatching

Removing the plugs just increases air flow. For lockdown, you definitely want as much air flow as possible for the hatching chicks. I can't say that it would or wouldn't have improved your hatch rates, but if you can maintain 65% humidity with both holes open, those are the optimal conditions for hatching
xs 2 I actaually keep my vent plugs out from day one. You definitely want them out for hatch, in my HUMBLE opinion.
wink.png
I have a question though, does your hova bator have a fan for forced air circulation?

Mine has two holes but a cord comes out one of them (hova bator with picture window and fan) so only have the one vent plug. I don't use it and not even sure if it's still in the box. Like the others I run with both holes open from day one.

No idea why they say to keep them closed for three days. As for the 18th day it's like others said for increased air, they'll be breathing inside the shell soon after internally piping. The other thing the vent hole aids in is reducing the heat some. Fully formed chicks generate heat and will drive the temp up some, removing the turner with it's motor that runs hot helps counter that.

Mine has two holes but a cord comes out one of them (hova bator with picture window and fan) so only have the one vent plug. I don't use it and not even sure if it's still in the box. Like the others I run with both holes open from day one.

No idea why they say to keep them closed for three days. As for the 18th day it's like others said for increased air, they'll be breathing inside the shell soon after internally piping. The other thing the vent hole aids in is reducing the heat some. Fully formed chicks generate heat and will drive the temp up some, removing the turner with it's motor that runs hot helps counter that.
That's the hova bator I'm looking at to purchase. I've found a couple decent priced ones new on ebay. Just hope they still have some when I'm ready to buy.

No idea why they say to keep them closed for three days.

Studies (PASreform and others) have shown that eggs offgas CO2 for the first couple of days after lay, and that having that CO2 around the eggs enhances incubation. We may be ventilating our eggs to early death. But only for the first three days.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Walnuthill, I did not know. But when collecting eggs from my own flock will let them set in egg cartons on dinning room table for two weeks until I get enough to start incubation (breeder trio kind of thing). Last try with my own birds was 100% hatch rate. Not that I doubt the study but think it's a small factor as far as wrongs of incubating go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom