Farwest Hatchery of Oregon

sheilawagner

Songster
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
Pacific NorthWest
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever ordered from Farwest Hatchery? They are located just south of Portland OR. Or had any previous experience with them?

I'd like to know about the quality of chickens they send out, especially Cochins (large fowl). I was thinking of ordering from them, as it is a smaller scale hatchery as compared to some of the BIG boys, but I'd like to check if the quality of Cochins are good first before ordering for 2011.

Much thanks,
Sheila

Hey sheila- I just noticed this older thread since I searched under Farwest Hatchery. Did you end up ordering from them- if so, how was the service and your birds? I am thinking of ordering from them, but can't find any feedback on here.
Thanks-
Colleen

I know this is old, but thought I would post what I know about Farwest. They are just starting this year. That is why you cannot find much on them. It is a guy who has been in the industry for years but finally stepping out on his own. I have heard he is a really nice local guy and is trying really hard, but their communication is poor. It took me 2 weeks to just get my chicks ordered and get a date when they would be delivered. Now on the day they were supposed to get to me, I get up at 5am, dress, make hubby's lunch, get the brooders ready and wait by the phone for the po to call, they never did! I called Farwest and talked to the owner, Terry. He explained that they had a turner problem and my chicks hatched deformed. But I had to call them to get this info, they didn't even call me!! He promised that he would fill my order the very next week. So I said okay. Now they said they would ship Tues and on Wed I called them and they hadn't shipped yet! So I asked them to confirm all my birds shipped and e-mail me the tracking #. It is Friday and I haven't heard anything from them and no chicks in the mail either! Frustrating!!! I planned on selling some of these chicks at an event in April and now do not have enough time to order from somewhere else! Maybe in a few years they will have their act together....

thanks daze 333- that's good to know.
I'm sure you're right- they just need a little time to get the "bugs" worked out of the system first.
Good luck with your chicks- hopefully you'll get them soon. Keep us posted on how it went.
smile.png

Well, it's sad because I don't like bad-mouthing people, but I will just share my story and you can decide... So yesterday when the chicks still weren't here, I called them again and now they have 4 cases of chicks that went from the Portland airport up to Seattle airport, then to the Tacoma USPS distribution center and then they figured out that they didn't have any address labels! So the 4 boxes got shipped back through Seattle and Portland and Farwest was picking them up yesterday. I am guessing one of those boxes is mine because I still haven't gotten the chicks! At this point they are 4 days old and I hope they are feeding and watering them! They still haven't called me to let me know if they are mine! Their communication is HORRIBLE! I have had to call them every turn of this adventure.

It seems from beginning to end all I have gotten were excuses from these people! It is too bad because I really looked forward to giving them my biz and trying them out. But I will call and ask for a refund now.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom