Fast Coop Height Advice!!!

fuzz

Songster
12 Years
Aug 4, 2007
Ohio
For the past two days me and my dad have been working non stop to clear the woods for my chickens. We just finished putting posts in for the fence. However he bought 4ft fence which is fine for the Barred Rocks but I am also getting bantams such as silkies and sultans <3. I know they can fly a little bit or jump since they are a little lighter and smaller. Is the 4ft okay or should he get 5ft just incase. Keep in mind that it is a HUGE area and the chickens will have tons of room i don't have the exact measurments but its close to a large barn size. Should he get the 5feet to be safe because if he does end up using the 4ft and the chickens get out he will lose almost 200$ in fencing to get more.

The problem with 5feet is that 3 of the posts which are for the rabbit fence ar only 4ft long so since we are attaching the chickens to the rabbits fence the extra foot with the 5feet fencing would go way over the posts. Comprende?

Um... Barred rocks can scale a 6' fence... I don't think a 4' fence will hold them. I would buy deer netting from TSC or something and put a top on it or you can double it to make it 8'

What? Barred Rocks are larger birds. I have never heard of them going over fences at all. Only bantams and barred rock hens are almost 8lbs and roos are almost 10 lbs. I don't think they can get their bodies that high off the ground. My dad raised them when he was young and said there would be no problem with the Barred Rocks, maybe the bantams.

I'm getting a lot of mixed stories. Can someone show proof maybe their own experience that bantams or barred rocks jumped over fences 4foot high or higher.

Also our posts are no higher than 6feet if that so we can't do 8ft wire, I do not want a top on the fence, mostly because we have trees in there so no can do anyways.

Last edited:
your chcikens shouldn't even try to get over a 4 ft fence unless something get's after them . That has been my experence with them over the years. i kept barred rocks in a 3 ft high fence 25 X25 for years once. never had one to get out..
smile.png

:DThank you, can I just get one more opinion from a bantam owner? How high they jump/fly if they will go over.

silkies and that type of birds should stay in a 4ft fence. they aren't good flyers at all. now old english bantams can fly like a bird. i would never try to keep them in any type without a top on it.. but silkies i wouldn't worry...

Last edited:
With a large area, they will be less likely to, but it's the fact that they could. We have a barred rock jump our chainlink kennel fence when the rooster was after her.

Quote:
Uh, read threads on this site... :>

Heck, my sussexes (same size as BR) can easily fly onto the top of a 6' fence, and with very little running room to boot (they can do remarkably helicopterish things if motivated)

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom