Fast way to make buttermilk for biscuits

It really helps out in a pinch. We had an ice storm this weekend but still have our power! Right now I am enjoying buttermilk waffles my wife made from it this morning!

What works even better is using the vinegar then subbing sour cream for half of the milk and stir well. It is nice and thick like real buttermilk and give the recipes a nice moistness.

Take any cultured buttermilk you find and put some in regular milk and let it sit on the countertop over night. You'll get really good buttermilk. This way, with vinegar, you get soured milk. Not the same thing. It's good in a pinch for recipes but taste it. Ick.

By the way, for sour cream, do the same thing but put the cultured buttermilk in cream instead. MMmmmm.

Take any cultured buttermilk you find and put some in regular milk and let it sit on the countertop over night. You'll get really good buttermilk. This way, with vinegar, you get soured milk. Not the same thing. It's good in a pinch for recipes but taste it. Ick.

By the way, for sour cream, do the same thing but put the cultured buttermilk in cream instead. MMmmmm.

Galanie what are the amounts of buttermilk to milk and is it good enough to drink? My step grandmother introduced us to buttermilk and I am the only one that liked it enough to drink it like she did. The rest would only dip their corn into it and use the cob to sop up the rest. Would also like the amounts for the sour cream. Thank you

I don't personally like store bought cultured buttermilk (or home cultured skim/2%/whole/etc) for anything other than cooking. The kind of buttermilk I do like for drinking is real buttermilk made by:
whipping heavy cream with an electric hand beater until butter forms. Pour off the buttermilk. Culture it with a purchased "buttermilk culture" from a cheese making store or online. It smells like yogurt, is thicker than the store bought variety, and is very, very drinkable!

Galanie what are the amounts of buttermilk to milk and is it good enough to drink? My step grandmother introduced us to buttermilk and I am the only one that liked it enough to drink it like she did.  The rest would only dip their corn into it and use the cob to sop up the rest.  Would also like the amounts for the sour cream.  Thank you
I use a couple tablespoons to the pint. Don't really measure it at all.

Found something interesting. I put the culture in whipping or heavy cream and as expected, came up with, well I don't know if it's real Sour Cream or not but it tastes like it to me. Anyway, used the culture from the cream in regular whole milk and now if I leave it on the counter overnight I get Sour Cream. Yes, it's almost that thick and that's what it tastes like. Wierd but I like it. Now I can keep using this stuff as sour cream and can make it cheap.

I don't personally like store bought cultured buttermilk (or home cultured skim/2%/whole/etc) for anything other than cooking. The kind of buttermilk I do like for drinking is real buttermilk made by:
whipping heavy cream with an electric hand beater until butter forms.  Pour off the buttermilk.  Culture it with a purchased "buttermilk culture" from a cheese making store or online.  It smells like yogurt, is thicker than the store bought variety, and is very, very drinkable!
You know, years and years ago store buttermilk always had little bits of "butter" in it. Now, it doesn't. I'm betting because it's never real now. I keep hearing to use the real milk left over from making butter but what I get to drain off from that always looks almost as clear as plain water.

Back
Top Bottom